Preach on

Story: Winning with StyleTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
Corriher

Jan 10, 2005
1:41 PM EDT
Excellent marketing is something the Linux community has always lacked, and in fact has always been its largest deficit. Even though he has rubbed countless people the wrong way, this was the realization which Eric Raymond spent years attempting to beat into our stubborn heads. He noticed too the unfortunate confusion and fear caused by the stigma of the word "free". Where is there real freedom if the common man is completely unaware of it, and thereby how to take advantage of it? When freedom is obtained only by the elite, then instead of getting a "democracy" as Paul penned, we instead get an enslavement closer to an aristocracy. Like the situation he mentioned about being forced to use inferior tools at work, whenever others around us are not free, then none of us can be truly free. Do some of you remember the difficulty people once endured to get an ISP to cooperate with someone using Linux? Of course, I need not mention work issues anymore.

Paul has set a good example of marketing... advocacy... whatever you label it. This down-to-earth type of piece requires more writing effort and patience from the "geeks" out there, but this sort of communication is exactly what we need -- because it is what they need. In other words, Linux failures are mainly due to our failing to reach out and expand the community -- for instance people like my father, who was a career construction professional and just wants things "to work right", do only what they are supposed to do, and cooperate.

Amen brother Paul
robT

Jan 10, 2005
3:52 PM EDT
I see Paul signed up under two user names ;)
PaulFerris

Jan 10, 2005
4:05 PM EDT
robT: Trust me, I didn't write Thomas's glowing review of my work -- we are old friends, however.

If you search on my name and the words "astroturf", you will find that the idea is quite repulsive to me...

[url=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=paul ferris astroturf&btnG=Google Search]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=paul ferris astroturf&b...[/url]

You'll find it's something I've been battling for quite some time, actually...

--FeriCyde (Oh, yeah, FeriCyde is another name, but it's kinda clearly me...)

;)
Corriher

Jan 11, 2005
3:26 AM EDT
Yep. Do your homework before judging people. Even then, it is too easy to jump to conclusions. I'd like to know, if I were a "sock puppet" of Paul's, what benefit would it provide him? Would the echo do anything except discredit him when people became aware of the scam? I can understand skepticism, because the world is a dark and corrupt place overall. Putting a knowledge of our characters and histories aside; it is really rather dumb to accuse someone of a crime when there is no motive for the crime, and moreover, they actually have a motive to not commit that crime. As a writer, Paul already knows his greatest asset is his credibility. It would be incredibly foolish for him to compromise that.

Things have become so bad morality-wise that I can sadly understand how someone knowing neither of us could become so incredibly suspicious. Thus, it is more easy to forgive such transgressions now, than it was in the not-so-distant past. Nevertheless, I would like to forewarn Paul's accuser, and everyone else, to exercise caution whenever you are tempted to attack another person's honor. We all know that it is wrong to hurt others recklessly and without strong justification. I'm sure we have all been guilty of it. Regardless of our past sins, there is no excuse for the current one. If you are a man of honor yourself Rob, then you will do the research that you should have already done, and then give Paul the public apology that he deserves. I do not take kindly to character assinations; especially ones concerning my friends. For now, I'm not pulling out the light saber ... for now. I can be vicious when necessary, and you might find something of my temper from my history if you check.

Paul is actually... for lack of a better term... too "upright" to play games with people, as far as I know. I can and will do it, but only when I feel it is absolutely necessary -- along the lines of "the greater good - lesser of evils" philosophy. Even though Paul's assertions are strong enough to stand on their own merits; the only plausible explanation for him having astroturfing sock puppets would be to promote himself. If I (hypothetically his sock puppet) were to be manipulative, then more effective approaches would be used. This never happens with Paul; but if I were to manipulate, then frankly you'd never know or suspect it Rob. I really am that good, but usually this thing called "conscience" governs such things so that this behavior rarely happens. A good example of more effective manipulation would be for me to play Paul's enemy, and dispute him with intentionally weak arguements. Better yet... I could additionally play exposed astroturfer with reverse psychology and you'd never expect that I'm either pro-Linux or pro-Paul. Yes... Paul and I know well the games that people can and do play. However, we both are much more prone to exposing the players than giving into the temptation of playing ourselves. One of the common disagreements between Paul and me, is my contention that sometimes you must to fight them using the weapons they use -- like psychological warfare -- if you want to win.
robT

Jan 11, 2005
6:15 AM EDT
Your apology is accepted, but really the "winky face" - ;) - at the end of my original post was meant to show that my post was nothing but humor. I assume PaulFerris had a similar tongue-in-cheek intent with his similar inclusion. Thanks again.

But really, why isn't it FerriCyde?
PaulFerris

Jan 11, 2005
7:15 AM EDT
RobT -- it's not FerriCyde because I wanted it to fit on a License plate someday :), also due to space limitations in login names and so on. 8 character DOS file name limits?!? yeah, that's the ticket. And it's also FeriCyde because I had that name bestowed upon me by someone, and sometimes something just fits.

Finally, do a Google on FeriCyde, and you find this:

ferricyanide

Click the first link (you feeling lucky, punk? :) and you get the following: Potassium Ferricyanide: Fantastic or Frustrating?

In other words, that substance has my initials -- it was too funny.

--FeriCyde

Corriher

Jan 11, 2005
7:52 PM EDT
I really have nothing to apologize for, unless I need enlightening about an offense which I am currently unaware of. Nevertheless, my tone would have differed vastly if I had known Rob's intent was "tongue-and-cheek". Anyway, this proves what I stated about my having protective tendencies toward friends, which is enough to trigger the temper I'm infamous for. I suppose it is good I restrained myself enough for Rob to clarify his more pure motives. Paul frequently cites that he wears his heart on his sleeve, and perhaps I too share that problem more than I ever realized. I was told that by some college chums, but never took that opinion very seriously. Not that it is something all that bad, either. Perhaps it a level of honestly that most people are too afraid to embrace -- there are reasons why "openness and honesty" are generally cited together.

I guess we ought to move on now. It is a pity that with so many readers, so few people join the disussions.
Koriel

Jan 12, 2005
3:58 AM EDT
Have to agree with you on the "honesty" part Corriher, I too have a habit of being to honest and upfront which has caused me to be shunned by many and as a consequence have few friends, but the friends i do have are the best i could ever want as they truly understand me.

And your point about the number of readers versus posters is valid as well. Maybe Lxers are just to shy :)
Corriher

Jan 12, 2005
4:07 AM EDT
Yes, where friends are concerned, quality is far better than quanitity. The paths of growing into an extrovert or intorvert have much to do with which of those two friendship paths we take.

The numbers thing is indeed interesting. People are likely to jump in if the conversation excites them enough. Community building is a slow process in the beginning, but growth can become exponential at a certain point. The "original content" thing Ferris is doing might help, and perhaps other authors could jump in. Merely linking to other sites with their original stories and corresponding discussions can cause the process to be slow.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!