Bind is fine with me.

Story: djbdns: An alternative to BINDTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
sbergman27

Apr 07, 2005
2:45 PM EDT
djbdns may be wonderful. I wouldn't know. I have a problem with developers like DJ Bernstein who show zero respect or consideration for other developers, and I discount such people's software out of hand.

Just for reference, this is the same guy that, not too long ago, put his students to work finding security holes in Unix/Linux applications and then published them in a very public way (but without any patches), giving zero notice to the authors, and in fact without even bothering to directly email said authors (some of whom were on vacation at the time). When confronted, he basically said "That's their problem; Maybe they'll pay more attention to security next time. And maybe their users will think twice before using their software next time". (That's a paraphrase/summary, not a direct quote, btw.) Meanwhile, users were scrambling to protect themselves, but there were no fixes; just exploits.

BTW, last I heard, most of his "slave labor" students failed the course because they did not meet his quota for security vulnerabilities and I believe that the weighting of this project in his grading system was some ridiculous percentage, possibly 100%. (I can't remember for sure.)

I have no use for these kinds of sociopaths or the software they write.

Also be advised that (from what I have heard) his license is not Free or Open Source, so read it carefully. That last bit is just what I've heard. I've never bothered to look since I don't intend to use djbdns, qmail, or any other software that Berstein has written. (I hear he is devastated by my rejection of his software, but hey, that's the way the cookie bounces.) ;-)
pat

Apr 07, 2005
4:40 PM EDT
Oh boy, more DJB did this, DJB did that propaganda and hearsay.

I guess the crackers have to wait until all the developers are not on vacation before they relase that new {insert software here} exploit to the wild.

Enjoy your patching!
PaulFerris

Apr 08, 2005
3:09 AM EDT
Oh gee, Dan "holier-than-thou" Bernstein -- I never knew he was an instructor on top of all it -- makes sense now. Last I check his license was not compatible with the GPL -- where's Dino when you need him? I say the holier than thou from reading his documentation. Kind of arrogant, you ask me.

On the plus side, Q-mail is a pretty good high volume mail server and sendmail/bind can really choke under high load.

Bear in mind, the kind of high mail server load I saw it choking under was at one of the top 10 destinations on the web. If sendmail gets, say, 10000 messages behind in a que, it can turn into a blackhole. Mail goes in, but doesn't come out for a long long time. This is due to the way that messages are sent by weighting the entire queue at each pass -- at a certain point, sendmail takes long weighting messages for sending than it does sending actual mail -- and if mail is still coming in, the scale tips and the queue clogs like yesterdays phat drain pipe.

Anyway, there are other mail servers that I'm sure address the situation and this thing you describe with Dan and his students sounds bizaar, but if true, explains some of my prior perceptions. --FeriCyde
dinotrac

Apr 08, 2005
1:21 PM EDT
Actually, Paulie, Holier-than-thou doesn't bother me in this context, so long as I neither have to sit down to dinner with the man, or bend elbows.

I guess I wouldn't want to take a class from him, either...

As to getting all hot and bothered about such attitudes and then deciding not to use his software, I wonder if any of our thin-skinned and huffy friends are using GNU tools? Last I looked, a certain RMS had attained a very high holier-than-thou rating.

sbergman27

Apr 08, 2005
2:28 PM EDT
Paul,

I did not ever hear for certain what happened with their grades. I do know that the vast majority of the students did not meet the quota, and the ones who were willing to comment publicly fully expected to fail the course. I suppose it's possible that something extraordinary happened and "DJB's heart grew 3 sizes that day" and they all got fair grades. Somehow, though, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would grade on a curve...
sbergman27

Apr 08, 2005
2:43 PM EDT
Pat,

I respect the fact that you disagree with my opinion. No problem. I labeled the item that I was unsure about in my original post, and added a clarification in my post to Paul. The rest is well documented. Not hearsay at all.

I simply choose not to use software written by authors who choose to act irresponsibly toward other authors and their users.

I've been using sendmail and bind for 10 years and have never had a compromise related to either package. (NFS and SSH were my undoing once, though.)

PaulFerris

Apr 08, 2005
3:44 PM EDT
dino: you're not suggesting that RMS comes across as arogant? That's such a stretch. What have you been drinking, and more to the point -- why haven't you shared it with me?!?

sbergman27

Apr 08, 2005
4:35 PM EDT
Paul, Dino, I'm beginning to see some definite "Celebrity Death Match" possibilities here.

When you think about it, St. Ignutius' disk platter (err, halo), with the edge sharpened up could be a formidable weapon.

So what does DJB have to compete? (Naked arrogance doesn't count.) ;-)

dinotrac

Apr 08, 2005
5:24 PM EDT
Paulie --

I'm not sure what I've been drinking as Mrs. Trac has been slipping it to me.

Whatever it is, I hope she never stops!

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
AnonymousCoward

Apr 09, 2005
4:27 PM EDT
Paul: WRT SendMail, have you seen PostFix stumble in like manner? And how does EXIM fare?
PaulFerris

Apr 11, 2005
6:48 AM EDT
AC: No idea -- I was hoping someone else would share. It would have been nice to experiment with other mail servers where I saw the load. Alas, it would have been impossible given the type of "administration" being employed.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!