I believe this is a good thing.

Story: Mepis Linux partners with Technalign.Total Replies: 2
Author Content
helios

May 06, 2005
6:55 AM EDT
I had to think about it for awhile...maybe 3 minutes. While Mepis is not my distro of choice - (have I ever mentioned in passing I think PCLinuxOS is the best by far?) this is where we will see who can lay down their personal bias and get behind the Linux push. To my way of thinking, this is exactly the exposure Linux is needing and what many of us have been working for. OK, now comes the complaints of Mepis "selling out", of Mepis "going corporate". I like to remember when this was a little struggling distro that almost no one paid attention to. Warren innovated and I am sure he has went without sleep for days in getting Mepis where it is today. My congratulations to Warren, and personally, I hope he gets filthy rich from his efforts. Let's just hope he does not forget those who helped him get into the first class seats and behind the podium at his many upcoming appearances.

helios
sbergman27

May 06, 2005
9:43 AM EDT
Well... when a distro starts issuing "press releases" and calling them that, it is a notable step in some direction. When the press release contains market-speak like this:

--- About MEPIS MEPIS is a leading provider of complete and easy desktop Linux solutions. Recently MEPIS announced plans to release server and enterprise versions of MEPIS Linux. For more information visit http://www.mepis.com and http://www.mepis.org. ---

it is also a notable step.

RedHat has done an excellent job of walking the line between corporate entity and good open-source citizen. In fact, they are more than just good open-source citizens.

But still, when I see a distro cross this line, it always gives me pause. Has someone seen the "dark side"? Or not. Probably not, but it still worries me.
helios

May 06, 2005
11:05 AM EDT
I'm probably the only dummy not able to read between the lines here sbergman...why don't you open up on that just an bit. I would be interested in hearing your point of view...not to argue, I might mess around and learn something.

helios

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!