Request regarding news submissions

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
incinerator

May 23, 2005
6:53 AM EDT
1.) In the news submission settings "Story Type" I would like to have an extra setting for "Commment" or "Commentary Article". "Editorial" doesn't always catch it and simply "News Story" would be wrong, too.

As an example, see newswire item http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/36855/index.html It is labeled as a news story but the article labels itself to be a comment. This is a very significant difference and should be made visible accordingly.

2.) More author names. That example listed above misses the name of the author. Quite a many newswire items do not display the author although the information could easily be added by the submitter.
TxtEdMacs

May 23, 2005
8:33 AM EDT
incinerator - may I second your proposal? I have been suggesting for a time to add a classification of an "Opinion" piece. My reasoning: when the author is not speaking for the publication per se and the thrust is not objective - it cannot be neither a editorial nor a news story. It is no more than an opinion (informed or otherwise), hence, comment would be a fine discription.
dave

May 23, 2005
8:41 AM EDT
Opinion == Editorial, by definition. That's why it's sometimes called "Op-Ed".

An article in a publication expressing the opinion of its editors or publishers, is an editorial.

I don't always flag the stories correctly, in the case of editorials, etc, and I miss the author quite frequently. Adding these double the time it takes to post a story. :(

Dave
incinerator

May 23, 2005
10:30 AM EDT
Strangely enough, in other languages than English there is a distinction between the terms "editorial" and "opinion" (or "comment"). E.g. in German and "editorial" is a specific term in print journalism for the article printed at the very first page of a magazine (disregarding the cover sheet). Usually, the "editorial" is a piece of opinion, but others found in a print medium are usually labeled "opinion" or "comment", not "editiorial".

I suspect there is a similar distinction in English journalistic lingo, but I'd be happy to stand corrected.

Byraway, TxtEdMac: yes, you may ;-)

As to dave's comments, I can understand that time constraints are an issue, with so many news items posted per day. However, correct labeling and noting the authors would not lower the quality of lxer would it? Lxer is also a news rating community and I don't see a reason why authors should not be rated.

Cheers, Dominik

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!