The Real Reasons Why CIOs Balk at Open Source Apps

Story: Why CIOs balk at open source appsTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
phsolide

May 26, 2005
6:32 PM EDT
As someone I worked with once put it, "CVS doesn't have a sales force that includes hot 20-somethings who will go golfing in bikinis in Bermuda with the CEO."

I suspect other forms of bribery are rampant. I know that some companies will now and then throw a C-note at even mid-level managers who are in charge of making buying recommendations. I hesitate to think of what large software companies whose names begin with an 'M' do.

The real problem is that most corporations have agents, individuals who have authority delegated to them, to make buying decisions that can affect what hundreds or thousands of developers use. That's why I've gotten stuck using some execrable SCM product called "Dimensions" for the last 2 years.
tuxchick

May 26, 2005
6:43 PM EDT
I used to see this sort of thing a lot, "business meetings" at hooter bars were SOP at a couple of lame luser companies I used to work for. Amazing how the mere hope of a brief glance at an improbable set of knockers will induce some guys to do anything, anything at all.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!