Gentoo on SATA.

Story: Dispelling the myths of Gentoo Linux, an honest reviewTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
jackuto

Jun 02, 2005
10:22 PM EDT
Is it really that easy to configure in installing gentoo into SATA hard disk?
Koriel

Jun 02, 2005
11:03 PM EDT
Wouldn't think it would be to hard to install any recent enough linux distro onto a sata based box so it shouldnt really be a problem with gentoo either. With Slackware which isn't exactly bleeding edge its a walk in the park, no diff from an ide drive except for the device name as far as i can see.
jackuto

Jun 02, 2005
11:32 PM EDT
of what i concern is that when i install gentoo on IBM server with SATA HD, will it be the same as of what Dave had mentioned(just that easy like instead of hda it is sda...)? but nonetheless, i'll try it out when i get the server and see what goes on. i'll post new reply so that anybuddy can give some advice on the issue...
dave

Jun 03, 2005
3:12 AM EDT
Yes, and modern distro that uses the 2.6 kernel will automatically load your SATA driver and the drives will instantly be available. Easy as pie.

That assumes your hardware is supported, of course!
jackuto

Jun 05, 2005
5:53 PM EDT
I intended to buy an IBM server with the specs below:

· Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 3.00GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache · 256MB PC2700 ECC DDR DIMM · 80GB Simple-Swap SATA Hard Drive · Integrated OnBoard 10/100/1000 Ethernet Adapter · Integrated RAID 0/1 Support · 48X IDE CD-ROM Drive

I don't know whether will the SATA hard drive be detected or not(of course i don't know which SATA brand they would use, WD? IBM? MAXTOR? Seagate?)? any suggestion? If this is going to work I'm sure I will stick with it...

Jack (Tech Support) Malaysia Gentoo Linux user.
dave

Jun 06, 2005
2:49 AM EDT
All SATA hard drives will be detected, as long as your SATA controller (which is on the motherboard usually) is supported. So, what is the name of the controller?

dave
jackuto

Jun 06, 2005
3:32 PM EDT
I haven't got the server yet, I'll post it when i got. thanks for the help.
TxtEdMacs

Jun 06, 2005
5:17 PM EDT
Just looking at the SATA cables and connectors makes me VERY interested in this technology. Even the wrapped (circular) ide cables I use are no match for these in not hindering air flow in large, hot cases.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!