Small issue - Dumb Title for Web hits

Story: Debian drops ball on security updatesTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
MadDogTMC

Jun 09, 2005
6:00 AM EDT
I have been following Debian since 1998 and have to say its been a great distro. I find it really silly that others (human nature) will say anything to put down a project or system because they can't compete with it or duplicate it themselves. This mistake is so non-trivial that it makes me laugh to see people complain and say negative things about it that is controlled by no one or a company. I still laugh when others say its not polished enough. When all it takes is some effort and digging into what Debian has to offer. One should ask themselves why are there so many other distributions using Debian as its base. Well because its that good and that organized. It has excellent detection and runs on everything.

I use Debian(sarge) as my server and ubuntulinux as my desktop. There are times still when I struggle implementing a service or application on a server but that's the best part. Its a challenge to me as an administrator and I will usually learn something new from it. Now once I get things working that's it. Do weekly updates and you are all set till the next project.

This error is easily fixed by going into the /etc/apt/source.list file and uncommenting the security link. Done...I actually noticed this yesterday before I read about problem and corrected it.

Now what about MS releasing its OS and a month or two later you see numerous security fixes and announcements that need to be applied. I guess when its been done for such a long time that its expected and others just laugh it off like it was not a big deal.

I think the big technical news companies are being pressured to make as much noise as they can about Open Source Software. At least thats what I am seeing lately especially from CNET, EWeek, InternetWeekly, etc. I think proprietary software is in big trouble and they are walking around with big sticks in their hands. That's OK cause I am not budging from my OSS platforms.

TMC

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!