As if it matters....

Story: Is Linux For Losers?Total Replies: 2
Author Content
dinotrac

Jun 18, 2005
6:23 AM EDT
My time with freeBSD gave me great respect for the BSDs, but it helped to reinforce the stereotype of BSD as being a guru-friendly OS.

It wouldn't surprise me one whit if much or even most of BSD is "better-coded" (whatever that means) than Linux.

The question is: so what?

What matters is how well it works, and Linux works pretty well for most things.

More to the point: Linux has become the primary development platform for many *ix projects, meaning that Linux is often the first platform to support new releases and the one least likely to have quirks and incompatibilities.

So...

It's ok if the BSD folks want to believe their OS is technically superior. It's even ok if it actually IS technically superior.

In the end, people run systems -- which includes ease of operation, availability of drivers, documentation -- including 3rd party books, etc.

Linux seems to be doing pretty well on that front.

mvermeer

Jun 18, 2005
2:25 PM EDT
Dino, you write as if this were a technical issue. It isn't.

Have you wondered how of all stories, an item like this could make it to Forbes? I have. Like the undergrowth of Enderles and Didios and Lyonses... 40 B$ is a lot of dough to go round.
dinotrac

Jun 19, 2005
4:37 AM EDT
Nah.

I don't wonder at all. I also don't believe Forbes is that easily bought and sold, given its target audience.

Seems more likely that lots of CEOs, etc, are asking questions about Linux --or-- seeking to justify their own cozy deals with MS, making such an article a decent fit.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!