blatant spin doctoring.

Story: Open source intellectual property fears riseTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
number6x

Jun 27, 2005
6:30 AM EDT
The title and the first paragraph are the only parts that have anything to do with open source.

Just look at the first two paragraphs:

"In the wake of SCO's controversial attempts to claim ownership of key elements of the Linux operating system, industry watchers have noted that senior IT executives are becoming much more worried about open source intellectual property indemnification.

According to a newly released IDC survey of 200 US-based IT professionals, intellectual property indemnification is being seen as an IT management issue rather than an open source issue."

(emphasis mine)

The title and the first paragraph are a feeble attempt to tie the study to open source, then the second paragraph tells us that the study shows that interest in indemnification against intellectual property lawsuits has nothing whatsoever to do with open source! IT managers are afraid of getting sued by vulture capitol based litigation firms. Open source or proprietary doesn't enter in to it!

I think that this mood in industry is a great opportunity for open source. It is so easy to show you have a license for every copy of *BSD, GNU/Linux, Apache, JBoss, [your favorite F/OSS here]. The legal departments of corporations around the world really need to start emphasizing how F/OSS can protect the company from legal hassles and save $$Billions in legal fees.

I hope MS and friends keep this campaign of FUD going a little longer, its a great help to the F/OSS community.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!