Here is a good example why the voting criteria should change:

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

Jul 05, 2005
8:25 AM EDT
Quoting: Did you like and/or agree with the actual content of this story?

It should NOT be whether you "like/agree", but whether the content has a logical argument, is well presented and supported by factual citations. If it's an opinion piece even where it is counter to ones person bias, nonetheless, cites a real weakness then it should be given a positive evaluation. The inverse also holds.

This is one of the reasons I ceased to vote on articles, the other is that I am maddened by positive and negative votes without any explanation is provided. That is, is it positive due to one's liking the content regardless of is validity (ditto for negative votes)? Most vote associated comments do not address this inherent ambiguity of this voting process, hence, I pay much more attention to comments on the article over the votes.

Here is a pretty good example where this issue comes to the fore: http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/16152/
jimf

Jul 23, 2005
9:31 AM EDT
I got to agree here... An article can be well written and be something that will be of intrest to people without my having to like or agree with what it says. I think the question should be something like 'is the story of siginificance' or 'is the story newsworthy'. 'Like and/or agree with'??? what does that have to do with anything on a news site ;-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!