Pigs Flying

Story: Microsoft to boost compatibility with open-source softwareTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
Abe

Jul 27, 2005
4:54 PM EDT
MS must be desparate, why else would they want to be more compatible with FOSS? But are they that deparate? I don't think so, at least not yet. I think they have other plans with ulterior motives. To come to think of it, they hired and continue to hire FOSS talents, isn't this what they did to other companies already. One comes to mind and I know this for a fact. Once in a meeting on MS technology, one person asked, Windows NT looks like it has many technologies that is similar to VMS, How so? That is natural, the speaker said, we hired many of their engineers and including the main VMS architects. Since that time, Digital started going down until it was bought by Compaq and then HP. Do they think it will work for them again? I don't think it is going to. Linux is not a company, it is a huge community. They can slow it down, but they can't kill it. People are not into it for money and not all of them can be bought or inticed. It doesn't depend on commercial resource but donation will definitely help speed its progress. After trying everything and anything and failing, I think MS knows that by now and they are taking the last option by starting to play nice for the time being, until they figure something out. Can't trust a poisonous snake, the only way to be safe around it is to kill and bury it.
dinotrac

Jul 27, 2005
6:01 PM EDT
There is no magic or mystery.

There is now more money to be made interacting with free software than in failing to interact.

Apache is the king of the internet. MySQL is increasingly popular and, at least, is not Oracle.

Microsoft has already seen at least one secure e-mail proposal get scuttled because the developers behind key open-source projects wouldn't get behind it -- thus ensuring that it could not achieve anywhere near complete coverage.

For many companies, Microsoft must play nice or leave the game.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!