Mmm, hmmm.

Story: Scottish police give open source the bootTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
SFN

Aug 11, 2005
6:14 AM EDT
"Nick McGrath, head of platform strategy for Microsoft said the company had offered no special inducements for the force to switch platforms."

In a related story, grits ain't groceries, eggs ain't poultry and Mona Lisa was a man.

In all seriousness, it should be noted that this story has been spun somewhat. Of particular note is:

Quoting:“As the need for increased integration and compatibility with other criminal justice agencies and community partners grows, the value of similar infrastructures becomes more important.” Open source installations will be retained in some areas, the force said.

So they're switching where they are being forced to by other agencies that aren't willing to change. They're keeping Linux where they can.
tadelste

Aug 11, 2005
6:51 AM EDT
I'm not buying this at all. Reports show that Microsoft had some kind of a $180 million fund to do whatever it takes to stop open-source in governments around the world.

Koriel

Aug 11, 2005
12:34 PM EDT
Being a scot myself im definately not buying this were so tight fisted when it comes to public money it would make your fingers bleed, I suspect large wads of green stuff and i don't mean grass has been waved around.
tadelste

Aug 11, 2005
7:03 PM EDT
I dunno. Seems like they got many ways to make it look like a legal tender eh.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!