Does it just support Linux with words?

Story: Announcing a New Online Store for Tux T-shirtsTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

Aug 18, 2005
7:08 AM EDT
I wonder when I see the bumper stickers purporting to support our troops are merely bogus pretense without substance behind it. [Ever hear about the history of the Linux Fund? Which now years late is just starting to disperse some of the cash accumulated? But I digress.]

The Ohio address also raises my suspicions (sorry Paul, I do NOT mean your!). In this case, I think the wearers would be more sincere in their support of Linux than was the parent (N. Ohio) that met a military recruiter with the flag flying, an American (U.S.A.) flag tee shirt only to be told her son was not joining because that sort of thing (getting killed/mutilated) was not for her type of people.

In this case, I want to know more than a site address that claims to support Linux. Does any share of the funds reach the developers / maintainers / support groups? If not do as I did when I tried to get information on the Linux Fund: send even small checks directly to outfits (e.g. Mozilla, Gnome, EFF,etc.) and buy some copies from real Linux vendors.

If you must where your "heart on your sleeve" and nothing will do but a T-shirt, check to see if Copy Left is still selling wares.

My apologies if I jumped the gun here and they are known to be a good outfit.
SFN

Aug 18, 2005
8:10 AM EDT
Quoting:In this case, I think the wearers would be more sincere in their support of Linux than was the parent (N. Ohio) that met a military recruiter with the flag flying, an American (U.S.A.) flag tee shirt only to be told her son was not joining because that sort of thing (getting killed/mutilated) was not for her type of people.

This is a bit off-topic but I'm lost here.

The recruiter was flying the flag? The parent was wearing the t-shirt? The parent told the recruiter that her son wouldn't be joining? Have I got those right?
mcsteen

Aug 18, 2005
8:24 AM EDT
now that you mention it, all proceeds will go directly to open source developers (that's us), in fact, this venture (tuxdelux.com) will help support our many Linux/OS projects. don't believe me, check out [HYPERLINK@projectamin.org] we didn't want to mention it in the TD press release, because we are not about tooting our own horn, but we are really software developers not marketeers. we thought that tuxdelux would be fun and that Linux users might be interested in our brand of humor. in addition we roll our own OS, as well as run and support the LAMP stack (thus the "Life of the Party" t-shirt)
TxtEdMacs

Aug 18, 2005
8:27 AM EDT
No, parent's house had the flag and she wore the t-shirt. Did not want to waste too much time with all the details. My intension was to write instead about the ribbons on so many cars and trucks around here that supposedly indicate their support our troops. Nonetheless I doubt there are that many purchased from the outfit in North Carolina that shares a fraction with military families. The rest I suspect says something like: "Made in China" or elsewhere in S.E. Asia.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!