Hit the nail on the head.

Story: FOSS: The Savior of DemocracyTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
PaulFerris

Oct 17, 2005
6:59 AM EDT
Look, one of the basic tenants of the freedom you seek will come from the fact that you can see the erosion -- if you don't say or do something.

I'd love to live my life in peace, knowing that Microsoft will never control my computing existance. I'd love to think that if we all just sit around and wish for our freedom it will just be there.

Bunk.

Fact is, we got here by struggle, and we're only going to hold the ground we have by force, IMHO. Write your congressman (I have, btw) and tell him you want to keep your rights. Do it as often as you can.

Interestingly enough is I typed some notes for an article on control of the press over the weekend -- have to go back to work. Maybe I can get it in the queue for tomorrow.

Tuxxy: good work. --FeriCyde
PaulFerris

Oct 17, 2005
7:00 AM EDT
Tuxchick: It's five years old, but you might enjoy: http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=1999-07-30-019-10...

"The War"

--FeriCyde
tuxchick

Oct 17, 2005
11:20 AM EDT
Paul, I remember that one from when it was fresh. You grumpy old party pooper, that was back when lotsa folks still thought microshaft was kewl and fun. Nice work.
PaulFerris

Oct 17, 2005
12:22 PM EDT
"grumpy old party pooper?!?"

Listen, I take issue with the pooper part -- I was trying to add, not subtract!

Wait, "old" ... "grumpy"! Sheesh, what did I do to deserve these insults to my character?!?

You categorizing hackers are all alike. You crouch in the dust from your laptops, nothing but the glow of lcd screens and the smell of stale old CD rom jackets to guide your way. You thought I didn't see you making a snap judgement call of my character from some slight reference -- but I'm on to you now!

Soon (SOON!) some loud obnoxious type like yourself will reply to your talkback, doing *exactly* the same kind of crap to you that you were doing to me. Then -- THEN -- we'll see who's the jerk in this equation.

You need to get a mirror -- maybe you could see how uncool (DARE I say "grumpy") this kind of behavior is.

Until that time, I'll have to wait for vindication. --FeriCyde
tuxchick

Oct 17, 2005
12:52 PM EDT
I think you've been vindicated quite a bit since that article first appeared!

I remember showing it to my boss at wankerdesk, and he was completely uninterested, because he couldn't score swag from Linux. The man was the all-time swagmaster, even though he was earning a six-figure salary and bonuses. I guess you're never too wealthy to not need more t-shirts, backpacks, and software you'll never use.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!