Good article for both genders

Story: LXer Feature: Survival Tactics For Women In FOSS, part 1Total Replies: 13
Author Content
tadelste

Oct 21, 2005
7:15 AM EDT
Men: read this.
Koriel

Oct 21, 2005
7:34 AM EDT
Odd i can find no mention of kitchens in this article? shurely shome mistake?

Ali

Heading for the forum door at a rapid rate of knots :)
Abe

Oct 21, 2005
7:38 AM EDT
Where there are women, there are men. They are our better half, aren't they?
tadelste

Oct 21, 2005
7:48 AM EDT
Some women would say, we are their worse half. But I am staying out of this potential controversy. It could be very enlightening if we get some response from the other species.
Koriel

Oct 21, 2005
7:54 AM EDT
Mine likes to think so.

But im biased as far as the article goes, as ive been in the "their is not enough women in IT/Engineering in general" camp for a long time ever since i was in Uni (ancient history) their was only one female in the intake at that time for Electrical & Electronic engineering course. Obviously i had other ideas in my mind at the time, but regardless of my motivations at the time for wishing more women to be IT/Engineering orientated, part of the reason they are not is because they have to aqquire survival skills and us males don't, why do we make it so difficult for them that they have to get these skills? Nice article hoping for more insights in part 2.
Abe

Oct 21, 2005
8:26 AM EDT
"aren't they", "Isn't", "Don't you think so" etc. are things I learned from my better half. She says they keep the democratic flavor in any discussions.

In deed it is a fine article, especially after the war discussions in a recent thread. Best of all, it is from one of us here at Lxer.
PaulFerris

Oct 21, 2005
8:51 AM EDT
My wife talks to me a lot about what makes typical hacking such a male-sided thing -- guys get extremely immersed (compulsive) about not just computers -- but a lot of things.

Cars, sports -- it's a long list. And if you're a woman, and you get that kind of itch, you face pressure from both genders to conform.

But I have another point of view here: Possibly the lack of "going over the edge" is a good thing (TM). One of the beautiful things my wife has brought to my life is the force against becoming a walking Linux dictionary. She'll come into my life at the right moments and say the important things:

"You're becoming to obsessed with technology" (this was first)

Then (years later)

"Paul, you are not a web site." (After something extremely dear to me was suddenly gone)

It's a long list, actually, of life-balancing things that her perspective has wrought. I can't begin to explain the value. I can tell you that at times I counted it as annoying (but she was right).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that some hacking is so deep in terms of human resource needs, that it's a rare individual that's truly balanced on the life side, and is really good at it. There's simply a boat-load of technology that needs to be learned before you get to be even partially good at it. Guys, for whatever cultural reason, and it might just be the typical lack of social context, contacts and drive -- guys tend to find the time to be that obsessed, to focus on the stuff. I'm not saying, for what it's worth, that I haven't known some seriously good computer people that are female (and balanced) -- I'm saying that a lot of the guys that I've known that were good with computers are not your typical social butterfly.

I came into computing late in life -- I was 23 at the time. I'd already owned a couple of sporty cars, had recently married the woman of my dreams -- I had a life already. The fact is, I count this on the positive side. My wife looks in on the obsession that I have for computing, and says "no way in heck I'm ever going to get that involved with something so tangential to my life".

I respect that just as much as any other strength, by the way. She's a wonderful person who has contributed much to my world -- and that's what we're all here for after all, isn't it? --FeriCyde
mvermeer

Oct 21, 2005
11:24 AM EDT
Paul: so true, so true.

I had the good fortune to spend my formative years before the personal computer :-) but there were plenty of other things a nerdy character like me could get lost in. Science is endless in that respect.

Thinking back, I had to learn the hard way to become someone with minimal social skills and a social network. My own survival fight, without me really appreciating it at the time. Living by my wits in society as in the material world.

You see, what I didn't know at the time, and my wife helped me realize much later, is that I -- like so many nerds, e.g., Stallman, and other obnoxious twits like Wittgenstein -- was suffering from a touch of Asperger's syndrome. Then you really need someone to keep the balance in your life. I do enjoy the science and the hacking, but Liisa keeps me on an even keel. Or tries to ;-)

BTW talking about tuxchicks, what about 'lexchick' Pamela Jones? A hacker as well as a thorougly balanced and sane person. She too has had her survival challenges... I admire her a lot, reading her always makes me feel better. Now there's a role model.

- Martin
PaulFerris

Oct 21, 2005
12:00 PM EDT
Martin: My wife's name is Lisa :0)
tuxchick

Oct 23, 2005
7:30 PM EDT
You're both married to the same woman? How advanced!

Oops, maybe you weren't supposed to know.

Never mind.
Koriel

Oct 24, 2005
12:40 AM EDT
Lol, why didn't i think of that!
PaulFerris

Oct 24, 2005
6:26 AM EDT
tuxxy: Martin's Liisa has an extra "i" -- other than that, and several thousand miles, I know nothing more about her (but barring some sort of reentrant code, I doubt that she's the same woman that puts up with me).

sbergman27

Oct 24, 2005
7:46 AM EDT
> You're both married to the same woman? How advanced!

TC,

I think it's an object oriented thing. Has something to do with multiple inheritance... or polymorphism... or polygamy. Yes, that's it!

I didn't know that the Lisa supported those features. Then again, until a few weeks ago, I didn't know that the IIgs had a GUI. But back in the day, I remember hearing that "Lisa is Fun!".
PaulFerris

Oct 24, 2005
9:08 AM EDT
Quoting: But back in the day, I remember hearing that "Lisa is Fun!".
sbergman27: The collision of non-LXer-material replies in my output queue has become overwhelming. Needless to say, after numerous queue delete commands, my brain is almost back to what constitutes normal (A state that most people would equate with insanity, but I digress).

--FeriCyde

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!