As already pointed out...

Story: Comment of the Day October 26, 2005 Microsoft admits it can no longer competeTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
number6x

Oct 26, 2005
12:59 PM EDT
AT&T Unix was first.

BSD was a derivative of At&T Unix.

Then later, versions of At&T Unix were largely based on BSD copyrighted code.

My statement in the above article is not completely clear on this point. But it is still a good example of how small teams have done better than large corporations in software development.
TxtEdMacs

Oct 26, 2005
1:46 PM EDT
number6x - one more correction (however, I might not have the correct link):

I think it was Andy Hertzfeld that talked about seeing Bill Joy at Berkley (Univ. of California) writing BSD out on a terminal by himself! Andy was a grad student while Bill Joy was a teaching assistant. Bill Joy has also been interviewed on the same type podcast, but I do not remember him talking much about BSD.

I recommend the viewing of the show on Cringely's NerdTV. Moreover, Hertzfeld really comes across as a really likable guy.

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/nerdtv/player/?show=001&ext=mp4

Here is the link to the shows archives: http://www.pbs.org/cringely/nerdtv/guests/
mdl

Oct 26, 2005
6:01 PM EDT
I guess I disagree with the idea that M$ is incapable of implementing the open document standard. They could certainly do so in short order. However, they choose not to. Why? Because they are trying, against ever increasing odds, to maintain their monopoly.

If M$ fails in their political (political contributions = bribery) strategy to overturn MA's open document decision then we can look for them to suddenly announce support for open document.
number6x

Oct 27, 2005
4:44 AM EDT
mdl,

Microsoft may be technically capable of implementing ODF formats, but if its internal policies make it impossible for the software writers to do so, the corporation is still incapable.

Investors should worry if company management thinks playing games like this will lead to long term profits.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!