SuSE support

Story: Comment of the Day - October 27, 2005 - Summary of Linux DistributionsTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
number6x

Oct 27, 2005
10:30 AM EDT
Besides the e-mail support that SuSE offers for their paid-for distros, SuSE has some very active mailing lists.

Check out: http://lists.suse.com/archive/

Someone from AMD gave an answer to a question on the suse-amd64 list just today! These lists are tracked by many Novell/SuSE employees as well as many knowledgeable users.

SuSE is a very old commercial distro, founded the year before Redhat. They based their distro on SLS/Slackware. SuSE added Yast for configuration and rpm for package management, as well as translating much documentation into German.

I believe it was founded by Hubert Mantel, Burchard Steinbild, Roland Dyroff and Thomas Fehr. I have been using SuSE since 5.2, and I am planning an upgrade from 9.2 to 10.0 on one of my machines soon.

(I have a lot of j2ee work sitting on this machine, so I usually clone the drive, update the clone and test before I commit to upgrading my working copy)

It is hard to go wrong by choosing SuSE, and they have a live evaluation dvd that you can try before purchasing, although you will have to find someone with a lot of bandwidth and a dvd burner If you don't have these.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!