databases are the big battleground of the future

Story: LXer Feature: Interview with Marten Mickos CEO of MySQL ABTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
tuxchick

Nov 10, 2005
11:33 AM EDT
Maybe even now, because practically all computing infrastructure depends on database backends. Perhaps the biggest gift the FOSS world has to give is Free/Open Source databases that are not nightmares to administer and use, and are transparent and customizable. SAP, Oracle, and PeopleSoft have vested interests in staying obscure and difficult. But obviously customer's interests are at odds with that.
phsolide

Nov 10, 2005
1:11 PM EDT
Quoting:SAP, Oracle, and PeopleSoft have vested interests in staying obscure and difficult.

You know, I've long wondered about Oracle and how obscure and difficult it is. The Oracle DBAs and SQL programmers act like Alchemists in a way: they each know some small piece of the overall picture, and they fear giving the Secret away - they'll lose their power!

It reminds me now (2005) of how VMS "experts" and administrators acted in 1989. A lot of questions would get a squint and the answer "Now, what do you want to do *that* for, anyway?" I really hate Real Gurus.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!