Weird

Story: Christians Challenge Microsoft to Support OpenDocument for DisadvantagedTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
dotmil

Nov 16, 2005
10:47 PM EDT
I'm all for the message being pushed by the ministers. But it just seems such an odd mix, religious figures pushing for technology issues. Now, flip it the other way and have an IT geek pushing religious issues and that gets things exciting in a hurry...lol
dinotrac

Nov 17, 2005
3:00 AM EDT
What's so weird?

Pastors are people, too.

Church is not a thing that happens on Sunday morning. Many ministries take active roles in their communities, reaching out to people in various forms of need. Many pastors, church volunteers, etc, become experts at doing a lot with a little. That fits in beautifully with the strengths of free software.

When it comes to government software support, they are perfect reminders that government is obligated to serve some people who can't whip out the checkbook and pony up for whatever they please.
SFN

Nov 17, 2005
8:45 AM EDT
What's weird to me is not so much that it Pastors but that this one particular group is taking on technological issues for another group.

Pastors - OpenDcoument - The disabled Truckers - Cell phone access - Hurricane survivors Chefs - HDTV - Female Jazz Banjo players

Having said that, it's nice to see people who we wouldn't expect to get involved in this fight stand up and take a stand.
dinotrac

Nov 17, 2005
9:26 AM EDT
SFN -

Might just be my outlook, but it doesn't seem so far out.

Pastors, priests, etc. often function as advocates for people in need. If the advocates happen to be tech-savvy, it makes sense that their advocacy would extend into technical issues.
tuxchick

Nov 17, 2005
10:16 AM EDT
Geeks do push religious issues. Emacs vs. vi, Gnome vs. KDE, distro wars.... ;)
TxtEdMacs

Nov 17, 2005
10:55 AM EDT
Quoting:Geeks do push religious issues. ...

Being irreligious type I tend to stay out of those threads.

Read an interesting article, perhaps weeks ago if not longer, where a leader of a core fundamentalist group was disagreeing with Bush's stand on environmental issues. Indeed he had traded in his s.u.v. for a Prius and was mounting a campaign to educate his various related flocks (proper word?), but he was still skeptical of environmental activists. All I would said to him would be: "Welcome, what took you so long?".

So too on this issue, it is long overdue that others see their interests in parallel to software freedom. That is, to recognize it has much wider impact upon world concerns. Hence, many more segments (and their leaders) should be speaking in support.
number6x

Nov 17, 2005
11:09 AM EDT
Geeks have pushed religious issues for years...

Just listen closely and you'll still hear the cries:

"Die you vi infidel!"

"Repent all Emacs heretics!"

See, geeks are very religious.

:)
dinotrac

Nov 17, 2005
1:36 PM EDT
txted --

Don't know what may have taken him a long time (presuming he's just come around), but lots of religious folks are seriously concerned about the earth's environment. There is a biblical command to be good stewards of the earth...which, if you are a believer, is God saying not to screw it up.

What might be a long time coming around is the realization, once common, that even people with real differences can have significant common ground.
TxtEdMacs

Nov 17, 2005
2:51 PM EDT
dino - I think was the exact quote he used, except I do not remember the part about not screwing it up. Perhaps it was a faulty translation from the Aramic?
tuxchick

Nov 17, 2005
2:56 PM EDT
Anyone remember James Watt, Reagan's secretary of the interior? I was just a wee thing then, so I don't remember much about him, but he is often quoted as saying that protecting natural resources was unimportant, because Jesus would return before we used it all up- "God gave us these things to use. After the last tree is felled, Christ will come back."

Just goes to show that diversity is everywhere. :)
dcparris

Nov 17, 2005
3:25 PM EDT
dino - I think was the exact quote he used, except I do not remember the part about not screwing it up. Perhaps it was a faulty translation from the Aramic?

Technically, we're supposed to be stewards of the Earth. That means not 'screwing it up', though the emphasis is on the managing and caring for it. Unfortunately, we missed the lessons the Native Americans taught us about being good stewards of our natural resources.

dotmil, you should know that I *am* an odd mix. ;-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!