other media contacts for 'Microsoft's Monopoly Power'

Story: Linux News: Does Microsoft's Monopoly Power Extend to Government and Media?Total Replies: 8
Author Content
tuxchick

Nov 22, 2005
11:00 AM EDT
mossberg@wsj.com- Walt Mossber, technology columnist for the Wall Street Journal pandrews@seattletimes.com -- Paul Andrews, Seattle Times tech columnist. bbisbee@seattletimes.com -- Becky Bisbee, Seattle Times Business Editor

The Seattle Times is Microsoft's hometown newspaper.
tadelste

Nov 22, 2005
11:14 AM EDT
OK, will you suggest an email or copy yours, please.

I went ahead and sent my email on the other thread.
tuxchick

Nov 22, 2005
11:41 AM EDT
Other people to try are managing editors, like: mfancher@seattletimes.com -- Michael Fancher, boss of the Seattle times

Since reporters on the tech beats tend to be so unquestioning of the Microsoft party line, pitch it as a political story to higher-up editors:

'Dear Mr. Fancher,

I believe that tech reporters are missing the real Microsoft stories. Microsoft has been busily transferring its notoriously heavy-handed tactics to the political arena, in addition to having a multi-billion dollar war chest to buy influence. The current story is their heavy-handed attack on the State of Massachusett's attempt to mandate that all public documents be stored in open document formats, so that they are available to all citizens, and easily archived for the long-term in formats that will not become obsolete and unreadable.

"Microsoft has thrown the big guns into opposing this, even to the point of pressuring the governor to re-organize the entire state government, and conning disability advocacy groups into opposing ODF. Which, by the way, is to their detriment. (See the links below for more information.)

"I would very much like to see tech reporters start exhibiting some healthy skepticism, and really doing some reporting, instead of unquestioningly reporting whatever Microsoft tells them. This is no ordinary company- their dirty deeds are legion and unending, yet they are continually given a pass in the mainstream news media.

"Thank you, and I hope to see your usual high standards applied to these stories.

"best regards, "

"Microsoft Whines About MA's Decision to Support OpenDocument" http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20051015042041410

"Massachusetts: The ODF Battle Gets Ugly" http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20051117130850178

"Linux News: Does Microsoft's Monopoly Power Extend to Government and Media?" http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/48268/index.html
tuxchick

Nov 22, 2005
2:49 PM EDT
hey, I got a response:

"Thanks. I'll share this with our business editor, who oversees Microsoft coverage."

Who knows if it will lead to anything, but getting a response is good.
tadelste

Nov 22, 2005
5:28 PM EDT
Yeah!!!!

helios

Nov 22, 2005
5:48 PM EDT
Better late than never...just got in and fired off a letter to the Editor of the Austin American Statesman, the Business Editor and the Tech Editor. This City has had a love affair with MS for ages and the politics here stink to high heaven, but I guess they do everywhere.

helios
tadelste

Nov 22, 2005
6:22 PM EDT
In the Al Capone case, the only way the Fed's could get him was to try him on tax evasion. Capone was so confident that he would win, he fell asleep during the trial.

Somehow, one of the Fed's discovered that everyone on the jury had been bribed as well as the judge. So, they got the jury switched and won.

But, the guy had committed murder in plain view and no one would indict him.

That's what paying off politicians does. We've never seen so much corruption in America before. It's beyond belief. Only the Viet Nam war even comes close. And look what kind of public outcry that took to even get them to think about stopping it.
phsolide

Nov 23, 2005
9:32 AM EDT
Amusingly, the folks at http://www.technocrat.net have linked to the original LXer article: http://technocrat.net/article.pl?sid=05/11/22/2337254

Check out the comments at technocrat.net: apparently, lxer.com is for linux fan-boys only, no civilized discussion, and everything that MSFT does is bad. Hmmmmm.... they used to reserve that canard for slashdot. Now that the MSFT shills and trolls rule there, the other shills and trolls no longer consider slashdot a linux fan-boy site.

As far as "balanced" coverage of Microsoft, I feel the need to recount an ancient parable:

Two children squabbled over the last piece of cake in the kitchen. One child said that they should split the piece of cake exactly in half, and each child should get half. The other child maintained that he should get all the cake, and the first child should get none.

Then, a journalist entered the kitchen, assessed the situtation, and delivered a "balanced" answer: The first child should get one-quarter of the piece of cake, while the second child should get three-quarters.

I think we can all learn two things from this parable:

1. Sometimes you can't compromise. 2. "Balance" isn't necessarily fair or accurate.
tuxchick

Nov 23, 2005
9:43 AM EDT
hey, it's our new friend vonskippy!

Notice he has no friends on Technocrat either.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!