Drumming Up Customers

Story: LXer Feature:Survival Guide For Women In FOSS: Drumming Up CustomersTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
djohnston

Nov 22, 2005
8:26 PM EDT
Although Carla's target audience is women, she has solid advice for anyone wanting to freelance. I'm looking forward to her next article.

Off topic, but there are 2 sites I try to visit every day. Tuxmachines.org for the excellent distro reviews and LXer for the news stories. Unlike some sites, LXer links directly to the story, 9 times out of 10. And the content posted is generally unbiased. Unbiased for a penguinista, that is!
jwbr

Nov 23, 2005
2:39 AM EDT
I too found this article excellent. After having read a lot of hot air on the subject, I appreciate the no-nonsense approach she takes.

The article mentions the images to the images of Tux the penguin mascot. While the "Tux Gallery" site has some raster images, SVG versions are available from Simon Budig's web site: http://www.home.unix-ag.org/simon/penguin/.
helios

Nov 23, 2005
4:02 AM EDT
Personally, I enjoy her clear, confident style. It's not only refreshing, i find myself looking forward to her next article.

helios
tuxchick

Nov 23, 2005
7:22 AM EDT
Yes, there's nothing in this series that's really specific to women. Targeting women with the titles is something of an experiment to see how it affects readers and hits. So far, everything I've ever published with "women" in the titles gets a lot fewer hits, so it appears to be self-limiting. I have no way of knowing if it attracts more women readers- hardly any ever post, though I get informal responses through the grapevine.

I'm glad people are finding them to be useful.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!