Has the code survived?

Story: Linux News says Netscape's Browser Regaining Market ShareTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
dinotrac

Dec 10, 2005
6:57 AM EDT
Is there any original Netscape code left in Mozilla/Firefox?

I think Mozilla/FIrefox are pretty much clean-sheet-of-paper projects, what with gecko and xul and bears, oh my!!!

Maybe better to say the essential soul and spirit survived.
bstadil

Dec 10, 2005
10:14 AM EDT
Read Joel On Software The rewrite of the Netscape code was a HUGE mistake. They lost 3 years and they lost the market to MS.

For all the problems with OO.o they didn't do that mistake. OO.o is still not perfect but getting better

Here is link to Joel's article http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000069.html
dinotrac

Dec 10, 2005
10:48 AM EDT
bstadil --

Ummm... I don't think you heard me defend the re-write. I am on record multiple places and multiple times calling the decision a tragic mistake. IE did not have 90% of the browser market when the Netscape code was Open-Sourced.

The new code base seems to be ok -- although Apple decided against using it for Safari -- and Firefox is doing pretty well now -- but three years is a lot of time to lose. For all its incredible growth, Firefox has yet to achieve the numbers Netscape had at the time the code was handed over.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!