a tin-foil cap view of the government's antitrust case...

Story: Superior Linux Technology not Stopping Microsoft - Time to Call Uncle SamTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
dinotrac

Dec 14, 2005
3:17 PM EDT
To this day I am not convinced that the Clinton administration ever intended to win the antitrust case against Microsoft. Considering the things they left out, it's almost as if the whole thing was done for appearances only -- or worse -- to freeze out more filings by states.

I believe that the civil service came through -- too many Justice Department people are civil service workers protected against political pressure, as well as the independent Federal judiciary.

Of course, it all came to naught when the Bush administration refused to push its victory.

The one thing we'll never know is if a Gore administration would have done things any differently.

I rather doubt it.

jimf

Dec 14, 2005
3:26 PM EDT
It's obvious that MS and the rest of Corporate America has it's hooks so deep into the government that the administration's political affiliation is irrelevant.
tadelste

Dec 14, 2005
3:33 PM EDT
Keep in mind, I only asked for six things. Tin foil hat and all. I think we're owed these things.

1. That the US Administrative branch to cease and desist from lobbying on behalf of Microsoft.

2. Congress to evaluate the administration's role with regard to Microsoft.

3. Microsoft be prevented from continuing or entering into preloading agreements.

4. A comprehensive review of Microsoft's political activities.

5. OEM manufacturers disclose their policies with regard to selling Microsoft products.

6. Separate schedules of payments to and from Microsoft and OEMs be disclosed immediately.

Not too much to ask for a company with $60 billion dollars in the bank.
jimf

Dec 14, 2005
3:43 PM EDT
You might get another brand new shiny tinfoil hat when the dust settles. I think that was the prize for the last go round.
Bob_Robertson

Dec 14, 2005
3:57 PM EDT
I only ask one thing: The Fed.Gov stop spending money it doesn't have.
dinotrac

Dec 14, 2005
3:58 PM EDT
Tom -

I'm not so sure about 1 & 2.

The Federal government has a proper role to fill in furthering US trade abroad. That would include Microsoft as much as it includes General Motors and Dick's Special Recipe Beef Jerky. Although -- Microsoft is in a special place thanks to the antitrust findings.

As to a Congressional investigation -- I'm on overload. Yet another Congressional investigation. Wow. Great way to spend time and money for little or no results. I've got tons more faith in the Justice Department (civil servants, remember?) and the SEC (more civil servants). Congress, on the other hand, has lots of people who receive political contributions. Do you really want to see a Republican majority Congress investigating a Republican administration's relationship with a company headquartered in a Democratic state, run by a Democrat and a heavy spender with political dollars? I'm sure that would get to the root of...nothing.

Beyond that, however, my only quibble is number 3. Prohibiting pre-loads would greatly inconvenience a whole lot of people. That ain't gonna fly, no matter how just it is. However, prohibiting confidential agreements with OEMs, and prohibiting any agreement that prevents dual boot or in any way causes payments for the sale of non-preloaded machines sounds more than fair.
tadelste

Dec 14, 2005
3:59 PM EDT
If it taxed Microsoft for Excess Accumulation of Earnings, it could do a bunch of stuff. It'll run that on little real esate businesses but not Redmond.

dinotrac

Dec 14, 2005
4:01 PM EDT
Tom -

I know nothing about that. What is it?
jimf

Dec 14, 2005
4:01 PM EDT
Bob, a little late, but, we are all asking for that.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!