If not a bow, at least a curtsy.

Story: Microsoft bows to Mass. with open records formatTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
dinotrac

Dec 15, 2005
9:23 AM EDT
Let's not forget the real issue here: Open file formats, not dead Microsoft.

The big danger was that Microsoft would refuse to honor any truly open file format and use its muscle to continue business as usual. That bullet seems to have been dodged.

Now, Microsoft opens itself up to a little danger.

First, a truly open and ECMA-ized file format is available to anyone who wants to import or export the files.

That means OpenOffice, Koffice, AbiWord, WordPerfect, just about anybody, can get along with them.

If Microsoft's format doesn't support all the features of OpenDocument, Office will gain the reputation as an inferior tool for doing business with Massachusetts AND for business with firms doing business with Massachusetts, etc. The old six degrees of seperation thing.

We'll have to see how things play out. There's still plenty of room for a "We can't possibly get this done in time -- You have to toss your miserable little standard", all while others have wasted development time on importers/exporters.

Shades of OS/2.

Abe

Dec 15, 2005
10:27 AM EDT
Dino,

What makes you so sure that a "ECMA-ized file format" is not going to have hidden MS owned patents that will hinder the import export of its data? Can you trust MS a tiny bit? I sure don't.

Considering MS history, I say "dead MS" is the issue.
alc

Dec 15, 2005
2:54 PM EDT
[We'll have to see how things play out. There's still plenty of room for a "We can't possibly get this done in time]

That would be my guess.MS is pretty good at that.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!