Don't know about *just* a frontend...

Story: Is Linux Desktop ready for prime time?Total Replies: 4
Author Content
DrDubious

Dec 20, 2005
2:55 PM EDT
Ed: I thought everyone knew about K3B. Isn't that just a front-end for cdrecord? K3b is actually quite a bit more comprehensive than that, but, yeah, it's "just" a CD/DVD making application (data CD, audio CD, VCD, SVCD, data DVD, Video DVD...) Interestingly, although I am a KDE user, I tend to do a huge amount of my work from a console prompt rather than flashy GUI tools. K3B is one of the few "GUI" utilities I actually find myself preferring to direct access via a command prompt.
helios

Dec 20, 2005
4:46 PM EDT
I tend to do a huge amount of my work from a console prompt rather than flashy GUI tools.....

I as well. k3b is one of the bedrock tools of any kde distro. Having used the majority of Windows cd/dvd recording tools. k3b is not only stable, it has the ability to do just about anything you want it to do. The gui is beautifully intuitive. KDE/your-WM-of-choice could take a lesson from this app.
dcparris

Dec 20, 2005
9:12 PM EDT
My thing is, the author wrote about documentation on cdrecord. But most newbies wouldn't necessarily be exposed to that on a decent distro. K3B uses cdrecord so we don't have to. Sure, you'll still find references to it, but with sites like Linux Questions (over 200k registered members) and your typical distro lsitservs, few newbies will wind up trying to figure out cdrecord on their own. What's this guy been using till now, Slack 4.0?
jdixon

Dec 21, 2005
7:30 AM EDT
> What's this guy been using till now, Slack 4.0?

Actually, even Slackware 4.0 had X-CD-Roast.
jimf

Dec 21, 2005
2:26 PM EDT
Humm... Fedora Core 4 over an older RH Linux install.... I get the impression that the RH was 'very' old. I also have the feeling that some of these guys take out the review of that older system that they did maybe 3-4 years ago and just redo them without actually using the system much at all. The whole approach reeks of 'perfunctory'.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!