There are places where "Linux" doesn't fare too well...

Story: Desktop Linux versus Windows XP shootout writer needs help -any volunteers?Total Replies: 11
Author Content
dinotrac

Dec 20, 2005
5:00 PM EDT
Self moderated.
richo123

Dec 20, 2005
5:21 PM EDT
One tip that worked for me with open office is to change the default memory settings (bump both of them up significantly). I got about a factor of two speedup.
tadelste

Dec 20, 2005
6:36 PM EDT
I've tweaked both Windows XP with Office XP and a couple dozen Linux boxes. I wrote a series on optimizing Linux Desktop peformance for Linux Journal and an article here about how optimization made Fedora a XP killer. Load times are easily fixed and memory changes in OOo is one of many techniques. If the guy had put 512MB of RAM on the box, he wouldn't be able to tell the difference at all.

Secondly, moving swappiness to 10 instead of 60 would have made Linspire scream. SUSE doesn't ever scream.

Windows XP caches to disk at 128 MB, it doesn't move much less run well. Besides the guys EULA doesn't permit him to publish any benchmarks.

I only wrote a retort because his article sat at the top of Google news all day.

richo123

Dec 21, 2005
4:48 AM EDT
Confirmed here on Ubuntu. Oo2 opens in 3.5 secs following the memory tweak. BTW Dino's comments seem to have disappeared. Bring back Dino!
rob_hughes

Dec 21, 2005
4:51 AM EDT
Just to toss another datum point, I'm seeing similar load times for OOo on KUbuntu 5.10. Load times don't matter much to me though. System responsiveness is what does, at least for me. And when windows (gotta use it at work thanks to my inflexible IT guys) freezes while I'm typing because it needed to do some disk access or something, I always start praying that it didn't freeze, causing me to lose the last several minutes of work.
tadelste

Dec 21, 2005
5:07 AM EDT
rob_hughes:

$ sudo cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

$ sudo sysctl -w vm.swappiness=10

add vm.swappiness=10 to /etc/sysctl.conf

In OOo tools ->options->openoffice.org ->graphics cache then click Memory. Then change the default values under the Graphics cache for Use for OpenOffice.org and Memory per Object. I increase the first value from 6 to 128MB. I also increase the second value from .5 to 20MB.

But now, I have a lot of memory.
TxtEdMacs

Dec 21, 2005
5:14 AM EDT
Hey dino, I had the same problem when I lived in Chicago. Go to say something first thing in the morning and bam not even a crock emerges - really bad case of Laryngitis. Take several days to get your voice back.

Odd, didn't ever think it affected the keyboard. Whatever.

OK, got some numbers for you on OOo - Writer version 1.1.4 on a Debian Testing and Unstable.

From what I remember you listed components on your machine that were more muscular than mine, here are some of the pertinent specs: AMD Athlon (XP?) 2.6+, 1G DDR 3200 and Seagate 160G 7500rpm hd.

Starting with the menu up and the cursor on the writer as zero time:

first time - 12 sec

next time - 5 sec

There is a delay bringing up the application menu the first time, if you count that (which really is not an OOo problem per se) thereafter the time to move your cursor of your mouse to the proper line is a function of the individual. Someone skilled in mousing could do it in a flash, and someone that obviously had an incipient signs of coming bout with a disease or just an inept individual cannot be seen as an objective measure of the performance of any application. Hence, I would suggest you rerun your tests when you are feeling better or become more skilled at the basics of mousing. If that is not a practical alternative hire a few people to rerun your tests.

Hope you recover soon, I have much less to write about in your absence. Worse still, I have already seen one post where the thought has surfaced that you have evolved into a reasonable individual. I am stunned this thought can be even humored, since I know you do not even believe Evolution is a valid theory.
richo123

Dec 21, 2005
5:26 AM EDT
TxtEdMacs,

LOL. I think there is an Intelligent Designer at work on Lxer.
rob_hughes

Dec 21, 2005
7:01 PM EDT
Tom,

Thanks. I usually run KOffice ;) Was just tossing that out there for ya. KWord starts in under 2 seconds. I might have to try some tweaks. Haven't really needed it. I figure that if I can run a compile while watching a DVD and nothing skips, the system is OK.
tadelste

Dec 22, 2005
9:19 AM EDT
rob: I ned to look at Koffice again. It's been a long time. People say good things about it.
stephanfeb

Dec 22, 2005
8:13 PM EDT
Well, the one good thing that came out of all this is that with the help of the above OO tweaks, and the swappiness I am now enjoying double happiness! :)
tadelste

Dec 23, 2005
6:34 AM EDT
That's a good thing.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!