You assume to know his motives.

Story: Desktop Linux versus Windows XP shootout writer needs help -any volunteers?Total Replies: 3
Author Content
dtfinch

Dec 20, 2005
11:14 PM EDT
He's used to using MS Office on Windows. Switching to Linux, (arguably) the best alternative is OpenOffice. It's no fault of Linux, but OpenOffice is slow and bloated by just about every possible measure, and that makes Linux look bad as a desktop if that's the best office suite users can expect to find to run on it.

The numbers he posted are typical to the best of my experience, though misleading if you're expecting a comparison of Linux vs Windows (as the title states). I use Linux at home and Windows at work. On Windows I use OpenOffice much more than MS Office because there's a lot more to it than performance (I've been too often burned by crashing and corruption in MS Office, and annoyed by the lack of many features I come to expect), but MS Office does normally start in under a second with nothing preloaded, and seems to perform quickly overall. XP boots quickly as well.

For now I'll let the articles slip as constructive criticism, presented very poorly. He did make about 50 replies to the comments under the first article, spread over the entire 4 days between the two. I expect he'll keep responding under the second one.
tadelste

Dec 21, 2005
4:24 AM EDT
dtfinch: I don't assume to know his motives. I'm trained to evaluate assumptions.

I've already pointed out in another post about my experience tweaking both platforms.

Like I said in the article, if he doesn't know that POST has nothing to do with operating systems, he shouldn't hold himself out as a technician.

dtfinch

Dec 21, 2005
9:01 AM EDT
Now you assume that my systems are just configured wrong. I do normally set swappiness to 10 (against the recommendations of kernel developers who insist that 60 is right), enable at least dma, umaskirq, and 32 bit io with hdparm, and bump up the memory settings in openoffice. I did reinstall a few weeks ago and haven't done much more than the hdparm stuff though. 5 seconds to start Calc is still 5x longer than it takes Excel to start (your results may vary). Second start of Excel after closing takes a small fraction of a second. I have no Office related stuff running at startup, just instant messengers and the OpenOffice quickstarter. I haven't tried the quickstarter on Linux, but the best that can help with is load time. I have more than one spreadsheet that takes 2-3 minutes to load or save (~2 seconds to load in Excel), and they're not especially large. OpenOffice may be usable (I use it almost exclusively), but it's slow like molasses. I didn't need George Ou to tell me that much.

Who knows why he mentioned POST time? Do you seriously believe that he thought it had anything to do with the operating system installed?
tadelste

Dec 21, 2005
2:45 PM EDT
You're comparing Openoffice to Microsoft office on a windows machine.

Linux has not required setting hdparm parameters for years now.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!