Linux's Difficulty with Names

Story: Linux's Difficulty with NamesTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
zzsql

Dec 27, 2005
10:14 AM EDT
I would agree wtih that article in that weird names in Linux does affect usability. Especially when the name of the operating system is weird like Ubuntu.

As cool a distro as that is it won't be a viable alternative to "Windows" until it has an acceptable name. Yes it's petty but to the user and executives making decisions it goes a long way to have a more mainstream name.

greg in atlanta
sharkscott

Dec 27, 2005
10:54 AM EDT
I am sorry, but people who do not like to learn new words are the same people who do not like to read. When you have a limited vocabulary , having to learn all kinds of different new words is hard.
jimf

Dec 27, 2005
11:10 AM EDT
A large portion of the problem is unfamiliarity with Linux and a whole new set of Linux apps. Certainly the Linux naming is different than Windows. I thought that at first too, but, a lot of that is just what we were used to in Windows. I would argue that 'Vista' is no more acceptable than, for example, Debian, or Red Hat. Again, is Nero or Roxio any more acceptable or descriptive than K3b?
mjjohansen

Dec 27, 2005
11:23 AM EDT
I think this article is complete nonsense and almost too short to be considered an article. A basic toolset would be Firefox, Evolution, OpenOffice and Gaim. Is that weird? The only relevant one of the examples listed is a classic: 'How do you pronounce Xine?'. Even if certain names are somewhat irregular, does this not suggest creative use of language? One would suspect the people who developed the programs were more interested in them sounding cool than having a nice name for the marketing department. Also, a funny thing is - if you click on the image at the centre of the article, you will actually see the programs explained, which Windows doesn't, so you have to figure out for yourself what Outlook Express is looking out at.
mdl

Dec 27, 2005
1:00 PM EDT
I have an idea. Why not have KDE programs start with a K and Gnome programs start with a G? That would help. :-)
bstadil

Dec 27, 2005
9:25 PM EDT
This from a company called XYZ Computing. Give me a break
hughesjr

Dec 28, 2005
7:30 AM EDT
A program is a program and a name is a name ... How is Outlook more related to e-mail than Evolution or Thunderbird ...

Or MSSQL better than mysql ...

gedit or kedit compared to notepad ....

OpenOffice compared to MS Office ....

come on ... this is silly ...

Well ... Internet explorer is a good and discreptive name for a web browser when compared to Firefox or Mozilla or Konqurer I guess...
TxtEdMacs

Dec 28, 2005
10:20 AM EDT
hughesjr - I guess you were unaware that the name "Internet Explorer" was a name gained by theft. The owner suffered bankruptcy trying to protect his copyright against MS. Finally, the trustees were paid a pittance in settlement, whereas the erstwhile owner lost everything.

The article is essentially bogus, how is it that when one of the Linux (F/OSS) offerings has the better name it is left off the list? In my jaundiced view this is more of another instance of someone that does not want to be confused by real facts in contrast to dubious, asserted facts or just made up nonsense.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!