Core bussiness practices at Microsoft

Story: Following Bill Gates' Linux Attack MoneyTotal Replies: 19
Author Content
tadelste

Dec 30, 2005
7:17 AM EDT
If you look at Microsoft's business model their core should be creating great software.

But, they have added another core to their business: Protect the monopoly at all costs.
jimf

Dec 30, 2005
11:09 AM EDT
Hell, looking back to their original Dos acquisition, the business model has never been to 'create' anything. Market share has always been the goal.
number6x

Dec 30, 2005
11:48 AM EDT
jimf,

even before microsoft Billy G went dumpster diving to steal the code to write his basic compiler.

he didn't even create before there was a microsoft.
Bob_Robertson

Dec 30, 2005
3:09 PM EDT
Before one condemns the officers of Microsoft, remember that they are a publicly held company. If they didn't make every effort to maintain the value of their stock, they could be sued individually by those stockholders.

While it may seem reprehensible to buy influence in government, it is in fact one very effective method of enhancing "shareholder value".

Making good software is not Microsoft's primary duty as a company. Their singular duty is to enhance shareholder value.

Neil Stevenson in _Cryptonomicon_ does a wonderful job of illustrating this point. It's also a great nerd-read.

On Gates, he's never actually innovated just as Number6x states. They stole BASIC, bought DOS, copied WINDOWS, "borrowed" NT. The only product they really created was OS/2, but they abandoned it because IBM owned some too and Microsoft doesn't share.
jimf

Dec 30, 2005
6:32 PM EDT
Bob_Robertson wrote: The only product they really created was OS/2

In everything I have ever read on this, OS/2 was suposed to be a joint project, but, IBM Engineers were the one's who did most (i suspect all) of the coding. Certainly after v1.03 that as true.
tadelste

Dec 30, 2005
6:46 PM EDT
Bob_Robertson:

Quoting:Before one condemns the officers of Microsoft, remember that they are a publicly held company. If they didn't make every effort to maintain the value of their stock, they could be sued individually by those stockholders.

Puh-lease. They are only required to make offers and acceptances for goods and services, exchange consideration, it must be within the law and they must demonstrate capacity and ethical conduct.

I don't think any stockholder except Vinnie "the fist" Ratillio, would expect them to behave the way they do. Just because the law lets them get away with things no one else does, doesn't mean they're doing right by anyone -including their shareholders. If I was their CPA, I'd through the Sarbanes Oxley book at them.

How come they have the highest gross profit of any enterprise in America. Only the cocaine dealers have higher gross margins. If it's too good to be true it probably is.

They're scumbags and no justification can change that. Money as God won't get anyone to heaven, brother.

Bob_Robertson

Dec 31, 2005
12:00 PM EDT
Jimf, likely the key reason why OS/2 was stable and reliable, as opposed to Windows.

Tadelste, I didn't say I agreed with their methods, only that they are indeed making an effort (a vile, putrid effort) to fulfil their primary task: Maintain the bottom line.

They have the highest profit margin because they sell $.30 CDs for $300. I cannot say that I wouldn't do exactly the same thing if I could.

Don't let your disgust with Microsoft's methods distract you: Government influence is available for sale. If it weren't, Microsoft with all their billions couldn't buy it. Microsoft is a bidder in the market, but so are many, many others.

Eliminate the source of the problem.
tadelste

Dec 31, 2005
12:46 PM EDT
Bob: The goal of financial management of any company is to maximize the value of the company. But it has to be legal.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 01, 2006
9:52 AM EDT
Tadeslte, what isn't legal about it? I'm quite certain that the terms and values of the contributions are quite legal, that's why lobyists and politicians are most often lawyers.

Just nit-picking, I do understand what you mean. Just remember who it is who decides what is and isn't "legal": Politicians and lawyers.
tadelste

Jan 01, 2006
2:52 PM EDT
The laws exist. It's up to government regulators to enforce them or someone can take them to court if they can afford it.

The existence of their $ 180 million anti Linux slush fund is legal in the US but not legal in the EU. We'll see if the EU can see past all the other crap they have going with Microsoft to enforce their own anti-trust rules.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 01, 2006
7:26 PM EDT
Agreed, it will be interesting to watch. This year seems to be a watershed, with both Microsoft and SCO reaching the ends of their ropes.
lediana

Jun 30, 2009
8:59 PM EDT
Thanks for sharing this useful information. It's great.

credit auto
tracyanne

Jun 30, 2009
9:13 PM EDT
Please give me the access to delete these spams, I'm usually able to go online when you people aren't
Scott_Ruecker

Jun 30, 2009
11:46 PM EDT
I am working on getting you and Hans and Sander forum rights..
Sander_Marechal

Jul 01, 2009
3:01 AM EDT
@Scott: Great!

Quoting:The goal of financial management of any company is to maximize the value of the company.

Which runs counter to the goals and interest of shareholders. They want short term value while a company should focus on long term value.
tracyanne

Jul 01, 2009
3:02 AM EDT
Thanks Scott
TxtEdMacs

Jul 01, 2009
7:39 AM EDT
RE: Deleting Forum Content:
Quoting:I am working on getting you and Hans and Sander forum rights..
Does that mean none of my pithy zingers will never more see the light of day? Think of all the forum threads that will no longer come to an abrupt stop, when all rational beings flee.

I can only suggest caution to not overuse your new found powers, i.e. please reflect before you squeeze the trigger.

As always,

Your Buddy Txt.
Sander_Marechal

Jul 01, 2009
8:05 AM EDT
No worries Txt :-)
tracyanne

Jul 01, 2009
8:29 AM EDT
my target is lediana and other spambots.
Bob_Robertson

Jul 01, 2009
9:18 AM EDT
> my target is lediana and other spambots.

Phew!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!