I live in North Carolina...

Story: Advocates urge adherence to North Carolina voting code reviewTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Jan 15, 2006
3:51 PM EDT
Once past the corruption, what's left of North Carolina government?

"You are in a maze of twisting passages, all alike."
dcparris

Jan 15, 2006
5:03 PM EDT
If our passage of the lottery is any indication, then things don't exactly bode well for us. I'm in Charlotte. Where are you?
jdixon

Jan 16, 2006
2:17 PM EDT
Bob:

> Once past the corruption, what's left of North Carolina government?

I suspect that's true pretty much everywhere. I know it's the case here in WV and was in Maryland when I lived there.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 18, 2006
12:34 PM EDT
dc, "Rocky Mount". Damned if I can find a hill, much less a mountain. If all the churches were piled on top of each other, though, a mountain it would be.

jd, be careful. Talking like that will get you labeled an anarchist no matter now logically the conclusion was reached. May I suggest the Ludwig von Mises Institute? http://www.mises.org/ Any time there is a question of economics, I fall back on the works represented there. Their online primary sources and detail of research is amazing. I especially like their "daily articles".
jimf

Jan 18, 2006
12:39 PM EDT
Bob,

I suspect, Just posting on this site will get you labeled an anarchist :D .
Bob_Robertson

Jan 18, 2006
12:50 PM EDT
Jimf, hahaha, having sparred with tadelste on the pro/con of the, ahem, "free market", it's more than clear that opinions on an-archy, that is "without being ruled by someone", differ greatly amongst individuals who post here.

So while I would be pleasantly surprised to find general support for 100% voluntary interaction, this site.....(bob finally shuts up)

wait, were you referring to "bomb throwing anarchist"? :^)
jimf

Jan 18, 2006
1:04 PM EDT
Bob,

I suspect none of the regulars here are of the bomb throwing variety... except the verbal. But, with all the Government's snooping, who can say what it takes to get you on a list?

Humm... did that sound paranoid ;-)
dcparris

Jan 18, 2006
2:58 PM EDT
Is being a FOSS fan/advocate/activist/whatever a special trait of North Carolinians? Or is it a requirement for citizenship? I mean, there seems to be quite a large contingent of us here. Given that, and the fact that quite a few North Carolinians seem quite intent on not complying with some of the state's auto-related laws (and probably tax laws), just living in this state could cause us to be labeled as anarchists. And Eric Rudolph even fits in the bomb-throwing category.
jimf

Jan 18, 2006
3:36 PM EDT
Sorry dc, I'm from Wisconsin... there are just as many of us here :)
dcparris

Jan 18, 2006
4:35 PM EDT
O.k., great. So we're all a bunch of socio-commie-free-market-capitialist-anarchists? I really feel for the poor guys down at the FBI! :-D
jimf

Jan 18, 2006
4:52 PM EDT
NSA dc, NSA ;-)
jdixon

Jan 18, 2006
5:23 PM EDT
Bob:

> Id, be careful. Talking like that will get you labeled an anarchist no matter now logically the conclusion was reached. May I suggest the Ludwig von Mises Institute?

Since I've been registered as a Libertarian since we moved back to WV, I suspect I've been on their watch list for quite a while. :( I've also been an occasional member of the NRA, which can't help. I'm aware of the von Mises Institute, though I've never visited their site.

Dcparris:

> Given that, and the fact that quite a few North Carolinians seem quite intent on not complying with some of the state's auto-related laws...

The only thing I've ever noticed about North Carolina drivers is that they seem to take the motto "First in Flight" seriously. :)
dcparris

Jan 18, 2006
7:43 PM EDT
You know, I've been meaning to ask the DMV for clarification on the signs around here that say "Speed Limit 55". I was going to suggest they add the word "minimum" to the sign, like they do up in West Virginia (grew up around Clarksburg), so people wouldn't be confused.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 19, 2006
5:16 AM EDT
Sure enough, people do tend to treat the "limit" as the lower-limit. But that's ok by me, I always have. I liked California where they can ticket people for traveling at the speed limit, if by doing so they "impede the flow of traffic".

Speaking of North Carolina, from what little I've read from Murray Rothbard's "Conceived In Liberty" (available through the Mises.org site, btw, with a couple of chapters online too), North Carolina in fact was a near "anarchist" (gee, can't say "state" since that is the opposite of anarchy...) region for quite a while.

He has a chapter on Pennsylvania, which it turns out William Penn was expecting to use as his own fiefdom in order to get rich. Well, the people who moved there simply ignored what little government he tried to impose, giving some 5-6 years of near- and complete-anarchy.

It's things like this that give the relatively minor impositions, compared to what we have today, the context to be called things like "The Intolerable Acts".

Much like the uproar that occurred when the very reasonable effort to do "due diligence" concerning the copyright on "Linux" was initiated.

People get used to liberty just as much as they get used to servitude. One must boil (or freeze) the frog slowly...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!