Getting a Visioneer 9250 Scanner to work

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
theboomboomcars

Jan 24, 2006
7:35 AM EDT
I have been playing with linux for quiet a number of years but there always seems to be one or two things holding me back, mostly software installation, lack of legal DVD support, and I always seem to have one hardware item that just wont work. Now that I have found Ubuntu, and Cyberlink has finally released PowerCinema on linux to oems my first two concerns are gone, especially since I use the windows version of PowerCinema on my computer. But I have a Visioneer 9250 scanner and over the years I have been looking for a driver for it to no avail. Is there any way to get this scanner to work with Linux, I cannot afford to get a new scanner, and this is the only thing holding me back from getting away from windows once and for all. Thanks for any help.
tadelste

Jan 24, 2006
7:43 AM EDT
I understand you attachment to the scanner. But, I bought a new UMAX scanner and paid $5 for it. I can't believe the stacks of new scanners in computer stores and on eBay. The UMAX allowed me to move 100% to Linux. I'm using the Astra 3400.

I suggest you consider changing to a supported scanner. Linux supports many scanners that OSX and XP no longer support. It's a software issue for them. So, you'll find new in the box, old stock.

I also found found this one on eBay and the seller lived in my home town, so I picked it up. He was just pleased to get it out of the house as he had upgraded to XP. While UMAX software didn't install on XP, MS supported it natively. So, he bought a new scanner and I got a nice one that does everything I need.
gnu_mike

Feb 03, 2006
1:59 PM EDT
Canon has lackluster support for advanced features on higher end models but they work - I've also found a lot of the lower end models from major vendors work pretty well in Linux.
grouch

Mar 20, 2006
12:35 AM EDT
I use an Epson Perfection 4870 Photo scanner. No problems using Xsane. Main reason for getting one capable of going to 4800 dpi was to scan some old slides. It was a compromise to avoid buying a dedicated slide scanner for only a few hundred slides. Most of the time, it's used to scan at 150 to 300 dpi.

Scanner support: http://www.sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html

You cannot post until you login.