It's Worth Mentioning

Story: History's on the Linux Side of the EquationTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
moopst

Feb 08, 2006
7:03 PM EDT
The early phones couldn't communicate much further than across town. There were no audion tubes until 1906 and the transistor was invented in 1948. With no amplification it was necessary to shout into the microhone and listen carefully when the other party spoke. So, parlor trick is not that far off as a description.

Similarly Linux started off as a hobby system until it started to gain some real traction and a devoted community. Now it is unstoppable and for those of us who have seen it this fact is obvious.

I often compare software to art. How many of you would look to a big corporation for literature, say War and Peace or The Catcher in the Rye? Or a Rembrandt painting or Beethoven's Ninth Symphony? I don't see much inspired art from any corporation, do you? I think it's strange that so many people expect inspiration in the software art from corporations.
number6x

Feb 09, 2006
5:31 AM EDT
MS/DOS (QD-OS) and 8-bit micro computers started out as hobby systems.

Linux started out as a software project by a graduate student studying computer science.

The difference shows.

:-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!