Nice, but....

Story: The LQ News Forum Now Syndicates LXerTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
incinerator

Feb 14, 2006
2:13 AM EDT
why should I subscribe to yet another forum to watch article discussions? I could effectively quit LXer and join LQ.org now, couldn't I? You'll get many readers who will post comments on the LQ forums but not here. Is this really what you wanted?

Also, afaik you can comment anonymously in LXer, but you cannot post to the LQ.org forum without having logged in to a LQ.org account.

Of course, you could deactivate LXer's integrated discussion feature and point readers to the LQ forums instead by using a link like "Discuss at LQ.org"...
tadelste

Feb 14, 2006
5:39 AM EDT
Actually, a large percent of our readership comes from syndication. People use our RSS feeds, for example, at their web sites. Another example is Linux Home Page http://linuxhomepage.com which is a news site.

On those sites, a person can click on a link and it takes them directly to the article rather than having them come here first. So, we give away our feeds. Eventually, people visit LXer and many of them stay.

Linux Questions has the largest community of users online. I have an account on Jeremy's site. I even sponsored and moderated a forum there. Jeremy is a registered LXer user and has posted from the pending queue. The owner of Linux Home Page will soon join our editorial staff.

If someone wants to get their news at LQ, so be it.. But, LQ serves a different function than we do. They deal more with help issues and we deal more with editorial and news presented in a much different way.

I don't see scarcity.

I understand your point and see the validity.

incinerator

Feb 14, 2006
7:14 AM EDT
Let me get this straight. The syndication of lxer is a very good idea, but you will get strange side effects. I'm just a wee bit frustrated that I cannot reply to a comment made at LQ.org about an article I wrote and submitted to LXer yesterday. And no, I don't want to get an LQ.org account just to do that. I hope bugmenot.com will be my friend today *ggg*
tadelste

Feb 14, 2006
7:41 AM EDT
I think people need to know more about http://bugmenot.com

Herschel_Cohen

Feb 14, 2006
9:36 AM EDT
Tom - wrong one it's "Bug Me Not" org, with phony access rights: http://bugmenot.org/

I was really wondering about the gain here too, because I immediately went to the LQ site to read a long string of complaints why those readers just did not want LXer comments, feeds, etc. to swamp their site. Not exactly a friendly reception.
incinerator

Feb 14, 2006
9:51 AM EDT
oops, wrong thread. sorry
dcparris

Feb 14, 2006
9:58 AM EDT
Herschel, I didn't think it was an un-friendly reception. It initially threw some of the folks off kilter, due to the high volume posting. However, I believe they resolved that (especially since this happened earlier). Essentially, Jeremy added our feed, which overwhelmed a few readers. He fixed it, and now everyone can see the LXer feeds without being overwhelmed.

Meanwhile, for every site with a few hundred or few thousand members that syndicates our feeds, we gain new readers. Some of those will visit the site, and setup their own RSS feed in their favorite RSS reader. Others will use the old-fashioned bookmarks. Out of those, several will actually register on the site.
tadelste

Feb 14, 2006
10:01 AM EDT
HC: Bugmenot org is a lame domain - for sale.

I had a typo in my link above. Fixed it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!