BS

Story: Former CA chief accused of destroying evidenceTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
dtfinch

Feb 16, 2006
12:00 PM EDT
If the goal was destroying evidence, that laptop's hard drive would physically be no more. And who uses a laptop for corporate accounting anyways?
tadelste

Feb 16, 2006
12:13 PM EDT
I agree completely.

It's completely ridiculous reporting. You can restore a hard drive in a couple of hours even when it's been written over. Forensic software can put it back together quickly.

That's why the DoD has specifications for disposal of hard drives.

I just don't have the time to write an article about every piece of b*lls**t I see on news wire every day. You'd probably get tired of it anyway.

bstadil

Feb 16, 2006
12:44 PM EDT
The fact that something can be restored doesn't mean he didn't try to delete something. He is a slimy person so I think he did indeed do this.

If you reformat you disk drive a couple of times and fill it up with stuff each time the original data can not be restored. Repeatedly writing 0 and 1's is how the DOD handles this.
tadelste

Feb 16, 2006
12:59 PM EDT
I don't wish to be argumentative. I agree, that just because it can be restored doesn't mean he didn't try. I don't know him personally so I can't say he's slimmy, unless you're referring to the way he combs his hair.

Actually, we've restored disks with multiple 0 and 1 write-on passes. That's not the way DoD does it under their current specifications. The way large disks are formatted today has changed all the rules.

If you do ten passes forensic utilities we can still restore the data. The key is disrupting the sectors mutliple times because each sector is now multi-dimensional.

Look at Diskzapper - a Linux bootable disruptor

http://www.tucows.com/get/326423_123141

One of our new editors wrote this utility which writes zeroes numerous time and at one time might have met the specs for the DoD and HIPPA.

Here's what Phil wrote:

This version of Diskzapper generates a random sequence of bits and writes every sector with a different sequence. It repeats this process with diffe rent sequences on each of ten passes through every sector on the disk. This will likely prevent two major techniques of forensic analysis that could recover data from the disk. Those techniques involve looking at residual data either between tracks or minute leftover magnetic states. By writing several different random sequences, any recovered data will likely be confused with the various random bits that will have been written.

This technique does NOT conform to DoD and other government or military requirements for destruction of media classified as Secret. However, the documented techniques currently specified may not be applicable with today's hard disk drives due to changes in the way bits are recorded on the media, either.

Those technique s are based on the actual data being the actual magnetic state. Modern high density media uses very complex methods of recording that involve taking groups of bits and converting them to special group codes which are then the actual recorded data. So there is relatively little real control the software has to change what magnetic states are recorded where.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!