It's all about courage

Story: The Myth of a Linux Talent Shortage. Is it true? You tell us.Total Replies: 3
Author Content
SFN

Feb 17, 2006
8:41 AM EDT
Not only have I not seen any shortage of Linux talent, I have found that truly talented people who have not been exposed to Linux previously latch on to and begin to excel at Linux very quickly. However, adoption is still slow.

The reason? Cowardice.

The people at the top of most companies who have final say on things don't know enough about systems to authorize or decline a move away from Windows. Rather than defer to the people in their organizations who do know enough they simply kill the idea believing that, since they don't know enough about it, it must be a risk to the organization.
phsolide

Feb 17, 2006
10:39 AM EDT
I doubt there's a shortage of Linux talent based on the fact that (at leat in Denver, Colorado), the job descriptions that say they want Linux experience don't really want or even need it.

In the last 8 or 10 months, I've interviewed for the 4 or 5 job listings I've found in Denver that say they want Linux, and then never had it come up as question about my Linux experience in interviews. I have missed all of the jobs for various incompletely specified items that seem to relate to my admittedly non-existant Windows experience.

HR departments and job shops need to recognize that a 20-question multiple choice test, typeset with "Word" auto-capitalization turned on, does not constitute a valid measure of *any* skill, much less skill at Linux or Java.
mariomiy

Feb 20, 2006
5:22 AM EDT
Fear of the unknown, preserving a good job, prejudice, tyranny of the majority. Whatever the name, it is a set of mixed feeling that prevent the hiring officers and heads of departments from considering software skills objectively. The net result is that in most "advanced" countries, Microsoft continues to be the supplier of software, which makes Microsoft richer, and software development lags behind. This is going to change the balance of power in software knowledge and expansion. Suddenly, countries such as India, China, South Africa, Portugal, Peru and Brazil will have the software industry more advanced than the US and UK. Then it will be too late. The cause of the demise of the US will be Microsoft and the international terrorism. I don't know which one is worse.
tadelste

Feb 20, 2006
6:56 AM EDT
Quoting:The cause of the demise of the US will be Microsoft and the international terrorism. I don't know which one is worse.

I don't know if it will cause a demise, but the collective will of the people seems unorganized. We have a sense of having no control. This isn't like the late 1960's when we almost staged a revolution. Of course, history will never see it that way. It's already been given to the revisionists.

I was alive then. I saw it and I knew what it meant.

9/11 was a terrible event. It did what it was intended to do, terrorize the population. It was a disservice to all involved. I say a fundamental mistake by the terrorists who underestimated the actions of the US administation and consequently the backing of the majority of Americans.

The Microsoft trial was another terrorist act but our government failed to realize it. If you can follow the disservice and the events that allowed GWB to dismiss the trial and order a settlement, then allow the BSA to terrorize the population in a different way, then too people feel like they have no control.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!