Sound stopped and 3D no longer works

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
theboomboomcars

Feb 19, 2006
11:37 AM EDT
Last night my sound stopped working, in my login account it still works on root. At the same time the 3D support stopped and I cannot enable it again. I am using SUSE 10 on this computer. All of the sound settings are the same between my login and root accounts, I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2. I get no sound from any application or the start up and shut down sounds. I reinstalled the Nvidia driver through YOU and manually and nothing changes, I have a Geforce 6600gt. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate the help.
jdixon

Feb 20, 2006
6:58 AM EDT
Do you use Gnome or KDE for your desktop? For KDE, check your mixer settings and make sure your sound hasn't gotten muted in the mixer. I can't speak for Gnome. Have you recently compiled a new kernel? That will break the NVidia drivers. In any case, since sound is working for root, the sound problem is obviously a permissions problem or a problem with your specific account. Try creating a new account and see if sound works with it. If it does, the problem is with your account. If it doesn't, then it's a permissions problem. If it's the former, simply creating a new account and copying your essential files over may be the easiest way to fix it.
theboomboomcars

Feb 20, 2006
2:20 PM EDT
I have not updated the kernel. I use KDE, and just noticed the little speaker is not down at the bottom by the clock any more, I started the mixer and I have sound working again. Thanks. Any ideas about how to get the 3d to work.
jdixon

Feb 20, 2006
3:00 PM EDT
> Any ideas about how to get the 3d to work.

If reinstalling the video drivers drivers didn't do anything, and your /etc/xorg.conf file is correct, then no. Check the xorg.conf file and make sure that driver is nvidia, not nv. You'll also want to verify that NoAccel and UseFBDev are either not present or commented out. Actually, I'll cut and paste the module and driver sections of my xorg.conf here, since I have an older Nvidia card. Yours won't be the same, but they should be similar:

Section "Module" Load "dbe" Load "extmod" Load "glx" Load "record" Load "xtrap" Load "speedo" Load "type1" Load "freetype" EndSection

Section "Device" ### Available Driver options are:- ### Values: : integer, : float, : "True"/"False", ### : "String", : " Hz/kHz/MHz" ### [arg]: arg optional #Option "SWcursor" # [] #Option "HWcursor" # [] #Option "NoAccel" # [] #Option "ShowCache" # [] #Option "ShadowFB" # [] #Option "UseFBDev" # [] #Option "Rotate" # [] #Option "VideoKey" # #Option "FlatPanel" # [] Identifier "Card0" Driver "nvidia" VendorName "NVidia" BoardName "0x0172" BusID "PCI:1:0:0" EndSection

I hope this is of some assistance.
jdixon

Feb 20, 2006
3:02 PM EDT
Hmm, I see the values line completely confused the system and threw it into italics mode, since it has bracketed letters which mimic html. Oh well, it should stillbe usable.

You cannot post until you login.