I'm missing the old voting system...

Story: Cheapening LinuxTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
rittmey

Mar 14, 2006
9:09 AM EDT
...because this is definitely an article worthy of some "I agree"-votings ;-)

Some comments anyway:

I would not say that I prefer the one thing over the other. There are good startups (and after all any company has started as one - even though in earlier days this label hasn't been used or at least it hasn't been tainted by all the bubble-companies of 2000 and of late again), which provide pretty good code.

But agreed, the suckers are the majority. They take all the code they can get and do not give back anything or just some pieces (BTW: Google, far from beeing a startup any more, and despite laudable things like their summer of code still falls into the sucker category IMHO).

Sadly enough some open source coders (and the use of open source has been intentional here since these coders are prefering the term over free software) even brag with the "Allows to take without giving back"-provision of the licenses they choose. At the FOSDEM in Brussels last month I saw a hacker with a t-shirt that went along the lines that any company would be foolish to use any other license than the BSD license because with the BSD license they do not have to give back (don't remember the exact wording).

Quite sad in my opinion. And in my opinion also not even true.

Herschel_Cohen

Mar 14, 2006
9:27 AM EDT
Then comment - that is: vote with your comments, say why you liked of disliked the content. The votes were impossible to interpret, because there were many times no explanation. Moreover, the some times the same person seemed to show no consistency in their votes.

I like this article, because it expresses the same views I have held for quite some time. Moreover, I think they are valid views well expressed.

In another thread I too expressed my view that I could not even discern what Open Source was supposed to mean.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!