Linux + PHP + MySQL + Hotrods?

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
grouch

Mar 14, 2006
6:05 PM EDT
Any Linux-using, PHP-coding hotrodders out there?

There's a stalled GPL Photojournal project at http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com and it's in need of a jump-start.

Just in case there are any Linux-using, PHP-coding hotrodders from Oz out there...

"One of the main motivating factors in the founding of the Crankshaft Coalition was the recent takedown of an online community for Australian hotrodders.

[...]

"News of this first reached us via a post on the Hotrodders Bulletin Board. When we found out what had happened, we offered to transfer the entire database of Australian automotive tech knowledge to a specialty free speech server in America, with an American administrator. Thus, the forum would remain uniquely Australian, but it would fall under the protection of American law."

The above is extracted from Jon's comments at http://crankshaftcoalition.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27

Now how can you resist helping somebody who does stuff like that?
Herschel_Cohen

Mar 15, 2006
6:44 AM EDT
Quoting:Now how can you resist helping somebody who does stuff like that?

Easy! I am a Grouch(o).
grouch

Mar 15, 2006
9:13 AM EDT
Yeah, but over-powered vehicles with eye-popping paint jobs are essential to life.

Besides, such software is not limited to hotrod projects. It would be useful on any community-based website for providing multiple photojournals to members who don't want to learn some content management system.
grouch

May 04, 2006
9:48 PM EDT
An update:

Jon has submitted the project to sourceforge. It's awaiting approval before showing up there.

A crude, limited demo with fake journal entries is at http://edge-op.org/grouch/journals_test/

Anybody interested in helping shape up the code for a photojournal?
number6x

May 05, 2006
6:20 AM EDT
grouch,

Please remeber that if we quit driving over-powered vehicles, all those dinosaurs will have died in vain! We must honor their sacrifice by using th efuel produced from their remains.

:)

(yes, i know the fuel comes from plants. its just a joke)
dinotrac

May 05, 2006
6:23 AM EDT
6x-

> Please remeber that if we quit driving over-powered vehicles

There is no such thing as an over-powered vehicle, just under-hurried people.
number6x

May 05, 2006
6:52 AM EDT
Ok dino, I'll peddle faster up Milwaukee avenue on my way home today.

I already go faster than the cars do.

My only fear is when they open doors before looking.
dinotrac

May 05, 2006
6:59 AM EDT
6x -

You only presume they're not looking.

Have enough bike messengers run into you, and you start aiming!
number6x

May 05, 2006
7:26 AM EDT
I kind of figured that when it isn't the parked cars that are opening their doors as I pass.

:)

The SUV drivers have been getting a lot more aggressive to us cycling commuters since gas topped $3.00/gallon. They seem to take it as an insult that I'm helping end America's dependence on foreign oil.

We're not all messengers, and us grey haired ones aren't even too fast. But were still faster than car traffic.

Sadly since gas prices have gone up, I'm seeing more goofballs on bikes. There was a guy holding up traffic on a side street in Lincoln Park two weeks ago by riding down the middle of the street oblivious to traffic around him. A really expensive road bike, a Starbucks in one hand, talking on a cell phone. The guy looked like a stuffed sausage wearing spandex.
grouch

May 05, 2006
7:28 AM EDT
number6x:

There are still dinosaurs roaming the earth who have not discovered their true calling. They incite rather than propel people. ;)

It amazed me to find so many photo gallery and blog type projects, but none that fit the need of a journal with photos accompanying each entry.

dinotrac:

Those big rectangular mirrors used on trucks make it easier to aim.
dinotrac

May 05, 2006
7:46 AM EDT
number6x -

> The guy looked like a stuffed sausage wearing spandex.

Great. Sear that image into my mind just as we enter bratwurst season.

On a more positive note -- my daughter and I went to Millennium Park a couple of weeks ago. We walked, but couldn't help noticing the rather cool bicycle parking garage.

Special note: Little in life is more fun to watch than a 10 year old admiring herself in The Bean, or walking on water at Crown fountain -- especially when one of the people "spits".

BTW --- I never realized that Chicago (as in city government) was so big into Segways!!! Security guys at the park were using them, as well as a couple of CFD folks. Looks very creepy from a distance: people don't look like humans so much as wheeled robots gliding along.

grouch

May 05, 2006
8:16 AM EDT
dinotrac:

Wonder if there are hotrod Segways out there.

(Street-legal electric dragster beats 375 HP Camaro: http://www.nedra.com/wayland.html Driver of the Camaro said, "...the worse part, is that I’m going to have to tell my buddies that I got beat by a battery powered Datsun!”)

You cannot post until you login.