new buzzword: "predictability"

Story: Microsoft's Hilf says Windows more reliable than LinuxTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
Libervis

Mar 15, 2006
4:25 PM EDT
We had "total cost of ownership", then interoperability, but now it is "predictability". Bow before the new measure of software superiority: predictability!

It is interesting though that Microsoft is neither cheaper in total cost of ownership nor interoperable (in fact deliberately the opposite) nor predictable in a positive way. Do all those innocent and unknowing Windows XP users predict that their operating system is spying on them? Can they be predictable about the way they're gonna do their job on a computer when viruses and spyware comes hogging their computer while they work?

Microsoft fails, but it throws out all the words, terms and schemed up arguments in its desperate fight to keep their users brainfcked.

Oh and I don't buy that "honest linux guy inside MS" story. Honest my a**!

Thanks Daniel
grouch

Mar 15, 2006
4:43 PM EDT
Predictably insecure. Predictably untrustworthy (to the alleged owner). Predictably useful to any attacker. Predictably anti-standards. Predictably incompatible at MS's whim. Predictably bug-ridden. Predictably secretive about what it's really doing. Predictably holding corporate data for ransom. Predictably giving up data to spammers and spys. Predictably over-priced. Predictably under-developed. Predictably over-featured. Predictably over-hyped. Predictably predatory on any and all others in the market.

Yep. Microsoft products exhibit long-term predictability.
Herschel_Cohen

Mar 15, 2006
6:00 PM EDT
it's a niche market, but it might just be why he's not using TCO - interview coming up where Linux beats them to a pulp. Don't rejoice just yet - it's hardware package running LInux with a key proprietary software package.
grouch

Mar 15, 2006
6:17 PM EDT
Ask Sterling Ball about 'TCO'. He went from mad at the BSA to touring the country thanking MS for finally pushing him to GNU/Linux and saving more than their spiteful $65,000 fine plus $35,000 legal fees. He is a perfect example to illustrate the lies of MS about 'TCO'.

See: http://news.com.com/2008-1082_3-5065859.html
helios

Mar 15, 2006
7:03 PM EDT
When I talk to a middle of the road customer that might be indifferent about Microsoft or Linux, one of the words they typically use with me is predictability....

As well as the points have been made above, especially by my esteemed colleague, the point is moot because I don't believe this is even an atypical response from a "middle-of-the-road-customer. I have caught, recorded and publicly named a MSFT Sales Rep in lies...why should I not believe they learned their tactics from those above them?
sharkscott

Mar 15, 2006
10:51 PM EDT
It seems that you guys found that word as 'profound' as I did. :-)

Predictable, you have to admit it is the most accurate word they have used to describe the Windows Experience.

So according to him customers are OK with how bad it is, as long as it stays bad, they will be happy.

NOT!

devnet

Mar 16, 2006
7:52 AM EDT
Well, I expected this from Microsoft....

In fact, one might say it is predictable behavior ;)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!