Shooting oneself in the foot is a bad idea methinks...

Story: Mandriva co-founder ousted from Linux firmTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
devnet

Mar 16, 2006
7:48 AM EDT
I really don't understand how this can be a shot in the arm for Mandriva....they're trying to cut costs I understand but they're creating a martyr in the process.

Not only that but I love the announcement they're using to distract people with:

"Mandriva One, the first Live and Install Linux CD! An operating system is generally available in a Live or Install CD, but not both on the same disc. Mandriva One differs in offering an all-in-one CD, based on Mandriva Linux 2006. It is a great way for all users to save space and time. This high qualityLinux distribution does not only include Live and Install functionality, but also a selection of the best free softwares available"

So they appease the masses by offering an outdated disc full of software they've already released? Nice. I think the bus is moving but there is no one behind the wheel at Mandriva...well, there was someone behind the wheel but they kicked him off the bus. :/
tadelste

Mar 16, 2006
8:58 AM EDT
Hey guys. This is what seems to happen when you get in bed with VC's. He can sue all he wants, but he loses.

He feel into success by giving Macmillan North American rights to Mandrake when Red Hat said "no more" to Red Hat. So, Macmillan picked Mandrake because it was mostly a copy of Red Hat. I was there, so don't argue about it.

Now, he needs to prove that he can land on his feet and replicate his success. Otherwise, he was just lucky. This is an old story: the scorpion hops a ride across the Red Sea on the back of a turtle.....

helios

Mar 16, 2006
2:38 PM EDT
Now, he needs to prove that he can land on his feet and replicate his success.....

Agreed. this guy could do some real damage to MS market share if he hooks up with the right people/company. We will be watching this one closely.

helios
tadelste

Mar 16, 2006
3:20 PM EDT
Ken, I was suggesting that he won't.
tuxtom

Mar 16, 2006
5:43 PM EDT
I used Mandrake for many years before I switched to deb systems. It was definitely an improvement on RedHat...at least from a desktop perspective. But it was still far from perfect, and I resented having to pay to "join the club". Additionally, RPM hell was still omnipresent.

I admire his contributions. However, I think that there are many, many people out there contributing more advanced solutions. I cannot speculate on what he may or may not do...but I do wish him luck. Personally, I have a great deal more respect for Ian Murdock, who in my opinion left his offspring with much more dignity, respect and humility. (Debian is far from perfect itself, but it is closer than those that sold out to VC's).
ralph

Mar 16, 2006
9:01 PM EDT
Mandriva is actually a pretty good desktop. It is not my favorite, but if you add in the sources from the Penguin Liberation Front, it is pretty easy to set up a quite usable system. Mandriva is the best in a minor way, too. I think the graphics they have been using in the last year or so are better than anyone else's.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!