SUSE

Story: Debian Stabilizing the Linux LandscapeTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
anandrajan

Mar 19, 2006
6:26 AM EDT
Adelstein says "I switched to Novell and despite a sensible desktop offering, I didn't experience freedom. They may have an interesting value proposition for large business and government, but not for Linux people."

Our experience was exactly the opposite. After using debian for servers and workstations, we switched to SUSE and it has been such a relief. We found debian to be low quality and ideologically driven - emphasis on supporting too many architectures and too many packages resulting in very slow upgrades and poor security updates. The switch to SUSE was like breathing again. SUSE just works and the opensuse.org community is coming along just fine.

Anand
tadelste

Mar 19, 2006
6:45 AM EDT
Anand: I have a difficult time imagining any enterprise that would have a problem with "ideologically driven " etc. That's a covert way of saying I believe your statement doesn't ring true. I can imagine that's your personal view, but not an organizational one(unless you work for Novell or one of its partners):
Quoting:ideologically driven - emphasis on supporting too many architectures and too many packages resulting in very slow upgrades and poor security updates.

Also, I'm well acquainted with your organization and you guys are almost 100% Microsoft. So, give me a break. I worked with one of the professors who attempted to introduce Linux and got his nose bloodied.

Your statement really sounds like someone from an enterprise speaking for the enterprise, don't you think? BTW, I have this bridge between Brooklyn and Manhattan you might want someone to buy, I mean, you should try selling to someone. And finally, you are so in such a minority

grouch

Mar 19, 2006
10:50 AM EDT
Linux will never take over the desktop until....!

(Psst! What's my line again?)

I don't know beans about the enterprise (Kirk never let me play with the lights and switches), but I do know that:

SUSE is for herpetologists. Red Hat is for clothes horses. Slackware is for crazy folk (tm). Debian is for lazy folk.

I used to be crazy, but then I got lazy. Have your Debian box call mine; they can apt-get lunch while I snooze.
jimf

Mar 19, 2006
11:34 AM EDT
"Linux will never take over the desktop until....!

(Psst! What's my line again?)"

Lol, I keep forgetting that one too...

And, Debian may be for lazy folk, but, it's certainly not lacking in stability or security... Probably not suitable for herpetologists though.
grouch

Mar 19, 2006
12:45 PM EDT
jimf: I tried to resist, I swear it!

"...it's certainly not lacking in stability or security..."

That's what lets us be lazy. ;)

Did I mention compulsive compilers gently grinding too much heat, or magicians wearing top hats wondering who changed their configs? How 'bout them flashy hats? Anything under them?

On a serious note, I have never met a Slackware user who was offended by being called crazy. They _know_ there are things called distributors that will automatically fire the spark plugs in proper order; they just don't trust 'em.

Aight, I admit it. Some lazy folk have too much time for trolling.
jdixon

Mar 19, 2006
2:44 PM EDT
> On a serious note, I have never met a Slackware user who was offended by being called crazy.

Well, I would comment, but everyone here seems to think I'm crazy for some reason. :;
Herschel_Cohen

Mar 19, 2006
5:53 PM EDT
Alright tadelste - you can say anything you want about Linux for and against whatever distribution that is the target of the day. Moreover, you can knock or unknock any Linux desktop environment you wish, I will remain stedfastly unaffected. However, when mentioning sales of prime infrastructure in the New York metropolitan area all referals should be made through me. I hold the uncontested license to sell and lease all such properties. Hence, I only wish to know one little fact from this overly long discussion: Who is this person that has such interest? I think it is my duty to relieve them of the stress of carrying the burden of an overly heavy wallet. Did you mention a Windows affectionado - ah sucker ala mode.
anandrajan

Mar 19, 2006
6:16 PM EDT
tadelste said "Also, I'm well acquainted with your organization and you guys are almost 100% Microsoft. So, give me a break. "

Poppycock. We have a good mix of linux servers, desktops, Windows desktops and SUN/Solaris.

And as for "Your statement really sounds like someone from an enterprise speaking for the enterprise, don't you think?" I don't know what to make of it. We evolved from Mandrake 9.1 through to Mandrake 9.2 to Debian woody to SUSE 9.3 Pro on all of our linux boxes. We found that SUSE was more reliable than Debian (especially on the workstation/desktop) and that's our personal (and very empirically driven) experience.

Anand
tadelste

Mar 19, 2006
6:55 PM EDT
Anand.

http://www.it.ufl.edu/projects/microsoft.html

A campus agreement with Microsoft for office software, core client access licenses, and operating system upgrades has been put in place for all university owned computers and for home use by faculty and staff. Student-owned computers are not covered under the terms of the campus agreement.

I believe it says "all" university owned computers.

Like I said, I know the Universities that use free software and you ain't one of them. Poppycock is right, Bhai Sahab Ji.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!