Claiming open source doesn't mean it's true

Story: Open-xchange Announces Open Source Collaboration Virtual ApplianceTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
tadelste

Mar 22, 2006
11:52 AM EDT
This company provides a good example of someone attempting to defraud the public by using the term open source. They do use open source components in their product they just don't fit the criteria since the majority of their functionality remains proprietary. This is exactly what we have discussed on Lxer recently in these threads.

When I see a company attempting to make money on a proprietary product like this, I start to wonder if they lack the resources to support the product. Unlike JBoss who sells support, OpenXchange (even the name is somewhat deceiving) doesn't appear to have the community to support their product. Otherwise, they would make all of their source code available.

I am guessing that they hope to sell enough products to cover their costs. It's a way to bring in revenue without doing much. I also wonder where the got their extender to Outlook.

If they GPL'd all their code, I would even help them and I could. But, they copied another company's products. They'll never make much of a difference because the most they do is put out press releases.

How do I know this? I struggled with the same model. It doesn't work.

It's also my button, btw.
dkusnetzky

Mar 25, 2006
11:25 AM EDT
I suspect that you looked at the commercial web site and somehow didn't find the open source site. Just to make it simple for everyone, here are pointers to both Web sites.

http://www.open-xchange.org is the open source community site. http://www.open-xchange.com is the commercial site.

You can find the code on Freshmeat.org.

Open-Xchange's code is protected under the GPL license as is clearly stated on both of the Web sites.

Does that help clear things up?

Dan Kusnetzky Open-Xchange, Inc.
tadelste

Mar 25, 2006
12:07 PM EDT
Dan,

Quoting:I suspect that you looked at the commercial web site and somehow didn't find the open source site.

What an insult and what disinformation. Like you have an open source web site. You know we put those links up ourselves in an article. We know your web site, because we don't write hallow stories.

They got you to come to work for them so they could add a little false credibility to their proprietary company and try to sell their goods into the the Free Software community. Tell your boss to change the name because we're just getting started here. Get this: you're the poster boy for shutting down the OSI for failing to enforce its definition. How does it feel to have sold out? Or does this just fit you like a glove?

Soon.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!