Why people wait: XP

Story: Microsoft Vista: Not 'People Ready'Total Replies: 6
Author Content
Libervis

Mar 24, 2006
4:22 AM EDT
Quoting:Given Microsoft's delays I can't believe open-source stuff still hasn't caught on for desktop computers. It's amazing, but people will wait months and months for products that are so complicated that no ordinary person can figure out how to use them.

It is amazing indeed, but I think there is a reason and that is Windows XP. Even if people are realizing what a fluke Windows Vista is they're apparently still not smart enough to find a reason to move from Windows XP to a cost saving, more secure, reliable and free (as in both freedom and often price) operating system such as GNU/Linux.

To most of people, Vista slipping and failures mean just that they wont be upgrading. They don't see it as we do; as a wake up call shouting "switch away from MS to FOSS".

That is of course unfortunate, but we are at least being given more and more of an opportunity to fight Microsoft and win more people over. The amount of evidence favoring GNU/Linux against MS is growing, and when we have a reputable magazine like Forbes writing a story like this, shows that so clearly.

What are we to do? Well, among other things, spread the word about best of the best GNU/Linux distros (whatever you believe is the best for the persons you're trying to convert) and don't hesitate to tell them about this Forbes article and all the other media evidence of MS's failure.

Desktop is ours for the taking!

(think that, and we ought to succeed, optimisim brings victory)

Thanks Daniel
richo123

Mar 24, 2006
4:52 AM EDT
Another interesting MS blog:

http://minimsft.blogspot.com/2006/03/vista-2007-fire-leaders...

M$ is leaking all over the place on this story. Starting to look very interesting....
SamShazaam

Mar 24, 2006
5:51 AM EDT
When the person in the next cubicle using inferior hardware is able to run circles around a Windows machine then we will be able to make real progress on the corporate desktop. Windows would be assigned to the oddball machine for the occasional application that only runs on Windows, somewhat like DOS is now.

Open standards are the key.
grouch

Mar 24, 2006
8:18 AM EDT
>"...when we have a reputable magazine like Forbes writing a story like this..."

I don't know about the print magazine, but the online magazine is "reputable" in a way I don't think you mean. http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=63&mode=print

There are worse tales, too. http://www.groklaw.net/search.php?query=Forbes&keyType=phras...
Libervis

Mar 24, 2006
11:58 AM EDT
Grouch, well.. at least it is reputable in sense of having alot of reputation. Now is it mostly bad or good is another thing.

But yeah, maybe then the word "reputable" isn't the right one to use since it's often considered implying a good reputation. "Well known" may be a better term.

But I think you got what I mean anyway. :)
grouch

Mar 24, 2006
12:17 PM EDT
Yes. I was just amazed that Mr. Lyons was so critical of MS. That's a bit strange, given his history.
tadelste

Mar 25, 2006
6:37 AM EDT
MS could have cut its advertising budget with Forbes, Novell may have increased their budget and/or Forbes has some objectivity and cares about its readers. Hmmm. Timing is everything.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!