LXer or MSer?

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
grouch

Mar 26, 2006
12:30 PM EDT
2006-03-26 Too damned much repeating of MS "news" today. If it's a slow day in Linux news, let it be. Find some tutorials or tips or something. MS wants their FUD repeated in every "news' outlet in order to keep people from trying anything other than their pie-in-the-sky future trapware. Why should LXer oblige them when they have so many paid outlets already?
tadelste

Mar 26, 2006
12:42 PM EDT
Grouch. I appreciate your comments but I'm not going to limit our editorial content to Linux only stories. Things that relate to the interest of Linux readers will have space on our site. With our readership increasing, you don't get to set the policy for everyone else.

We're a news organization. If you want my job, please apply for it formally by writing Dave Whitinger directly. I'm not resigning.

If that doesn't suit you please set up your own Linux news site and run only Linux stories. Reading your post makes me think you have given up your own volition. I don't read every story in the newspaper. Should I ask the president Jim Moroney to only run articles I like?

You've already addressed this issue other places on the site. I also don't have an obligation to publish every letter to the editor. You've had your say. No more.

grouch

Mar 26, 2006
2:00 PM EDT
1. I did not suggest limiting content to Linux-only. I griped about what I saw as an MS-heavy output, today. Note that the date was put into the comment in spite of the timestamp beside each comment.

2. Nothing in my comment implies I want to set policy. It was an expression of opinion about how many stories appeared today that were more about Microsoft.

3. Nothing in my comment implies I want your job. If I thought you were doing a lousy job, I wouldn't check LXer every chance I get. You must be doing something right or LXer would not have so many readers, commenters or writers.

4. "[T]his issue" is 1 day, 1 frustrated complaint, 1 person. Other than that, I'm at a loss as to what you mean and therefore also at a loss as to what you mean by "[n]o more".

I admit the subject title is trollish and apologize for that. In my spare time throughout the weekend I've been searching for "Linux" in Google News and have had to scroll through page after page of the same stories repeated on every major news site, looking for reports that are not about Ballmer implying threats to Linux, or reports of Microsoft's delays in Vista (with a mention of Linux), or Ballmer on "open source". It got to the point where I changed the search criteria to "Linux --Microsoft" to eliminate the ad nauseum repeats in Google News. It was a bit frustrating to come to LXer this morning and find several of the same stories that filled pages of Google News.

While I do apologize for the unwarranted harshness of the subject title chosen, I do not apologize for my comment. You mention that you do not read every story in a newspaper. You also don't have to agree with every choice the editor makes without implying that you want to replace that editor. Newspapers are not very interactive, but websites can be. If "[n]o more" means that you do not want any feedback from me, that's fine. I can fade back to 'lurk' mode and you can use editorial prerogative to remove this thread and as many other comments from me that you choose. As editor, you most likely have the ability to delete the account, if you choose, and I assure you that I wouldn't try to sidestep that decision by creating another.

tadelste

Mar 26, 2006
2:50 PM EDT
Grouchman,

Look at the story called Microsoft Breakup Imminent? GNU/Linux Wins

http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/57030/index.html

Part of the method (to my madness) is to create a context to any story I write about (I can't even say the name) Redmond. And btw, if our government finally gets the huevos to do something serious about them, will the real estate values in the area surrounding their campus go up or down? Falsely inflated values got the Financial Institutions Reform....act passed.

I live in a town (Dallas) where we once had something akin to an employer the size of Redmond. When they went down the place became a ghost town: Telecom corridor.

So, the build up to all the articles today have to do with the use of the precedent set in the CDC v IBM case and section 23 thereof, which refers thereto and herewith, in naming the precedent in the above named matter become the honorable court called:

Paper Machines and Phantom Computers.

I believe that Microsoft is using this time dishonored technique to stop Linux adoption saying that nothing will have compatibility with or be comparable in capability with Vista.

Hogwash! They did the same thing with Memphis later to become Windows 95 - a fancy gui called gdi.exe which sat on top of 32 bit DOS.

grouch

Mar 26, 2006
3:35 PM EDT
Actually, I just finished reading that article before checking this thread. I had already read some threads related to it, but hadn't got around to the article until now.

You see why I wouldn't make much of an editor of a news portal site. I would sprinkle links to those articles within an editorial instead of putting them on the newswire. The result of that would be much less attention to the problems the editorial would address, much less discussion and much less feedback to the originators of such articles.

You keep on being the chief cook and bottle-washer and I'll try not to gripe too much about the soup before it's served. When you see me growling, don't look at it as if I think I could do the job better; it's just complaining about the pinch of pepper or dash of salt. You seem to let frustrations leak over into comments from time to time, too.

Regarding MS history, someday I need to get back to work on Christian Loweth's "The Microsoft Collection -- An Educational Resource For All Computer Users". http://edge-op.org/cloweth/ http://edge-op.org/cloweth/MC.html

That needs to have broken links fixed and it needs updating in both directions of time. It's absolutely amazing that so many such compilations exist and yet there are so many people who continue to insist that Microsoft is just another business, only more successful than others.

You cannot post until you login.