Tommy Likey

Story: How can I use DSL Linux?Total Replies: 5
Author Content
tuxtom

Mar 27, 2006
4:02 PM EDT
I have DSL running a PI-233(32 megs of ram) IBM Thinkpad. I have a usable and responsive desktop on this hardware. The OEM Windows 95 could barely boot...I don't know how they sold that stuff for the prices they did in those days. I tried installing a couple distros and none took to this old hardware...let me clarify: didn't take well to running X. I really miss X before the desktop environments came along. There were (and still are) some beautifully crafted WM's out there. DSL is minmalistic, but comprehensive and very well thought out. I digg DSL.
sharkscott

Mar 27, 2006
5:20 PM EDT
I run it on a P-III 450 with 512mg RAM and it quite literally runs circles around the AMD 1600 512-RAM main computer I am typing from.

I have seriously considered using it as my main Linux Distro, I think I need to consider faster. :-)

tuxtom

Mar 27, 2006
5:28 PM EDT
Yeah, I have no need for bloat. It feels close to the bone, as far as GNU/Linux goes. Found all my hardware with no prob. Hardware that would have been practically useless w/o DSL or a lot of personal effort..
jdixon

Mar 27, 2006
7:34 PM EDT
> I digg DSL.

Yep. Works great here on a Celeron 300 system with 64 MB of memory. It's the cat's meow for older systems.
tuxtom

Mar 28, 2006
4:12 AM EDT
The Cat's Meow...probably the most famous sleeping bag of all-time.
tuxtom

Mar 28, 2006
6:07 AM EDT
I would like to add that I am impressed by the caliber of responses..as far as my much-endeared lxer user-base goes. I think DSL speaks for itself. It has my endorsement. DSL is a cool deb-based distro, and I'm glad people that I respect use it on their old "junk", which isn't really junk after all. I look forward to its continued development. DSL doesn't need PR, it works.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!