Unbuntu install with a Ricochet wireless connection

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
linux_newbie_de

Apr 01, 2006
5:22 PM EDT
Greetings oh great lords of Linux, I beseech thee to look down upon this newbie and have mercy. I appeal to thee to...okay enough of that stuff. I have completed installing Ubuntu on a P2 with 256 MB RAM running at 333Mhz and am feeling pretty good with the fact that I have gotten it installed and connected to the Internet (at work on a fast connection). My problem is....I would like to use a Ricochet GT USB Modem to connect from home to the Interenet. I have found a page here at this site that had a question but no reply was ever posted. The OS "sees" the Metricom modem but it will not connect. I have been working on it and have not been able to get the system "disl" a connction. From what I have been reading, Linux will treat the USB Modem as a serial modem when using it but I need to connect first. What am I missing? As the name says, I am a newbie here in Denver and want to start using Linux to see what I have been missing. Thanks for reading this and for any help.
Herschel_Cohen

Apr 01, 2006
6:33 PM EDT
linux_newbie_de - "de" is usually Deutschland, i.e. Germany. Denver is Mile High, in that dip just before the mountains start. The best place to post a question like this might be http://www.linuxquestions.org/ [Linux Questions dot org]. I would suggest running a search on the site first to see if perhaps that question has been answered. If nothing suitable is found, mention the search and post the question with a clear title on the content of the question.

You have to register to post, but they seem pretty friendly. Moreover, from my limited experience you will have a high probability of getting some useful information.

At this time we are trying to be a Linux centric news site, which is difficult. Hence, let us get good at what we do best and point you to other sites when they can other things better. Fair?
linux_newbie_de

Apr 02, 2006
9:51 AM EDT
Fair. Thank you for the suggestion. I do appreciate it. I will follow your suggestion and try my luck there. Actually when I was setting up this acount I had put in denver but when it posted it chopped off the denver part. I am here in Denver.
Herschel_Cohen

Apr 02, 2006
10:04 AM EDT
linux_newbie_de - don't leave us, come back and visit anytime. Moreover, some more general questions might get answered on this site. However, I thought it best to be honest and explain our forte is not technical support. I do not see what Linux distribution you are using, hence, I cannot offer explicit links. However, many distributions have chats and web support sites, many not official, but they are quite effective. Keep us in mind for news, ok?
linux_newbie_de

Apr 03, 2006
1:14 PM EDT
Follow up to previous post. I got connected finally. After getting various messages of errors and working my way thru them. I had to rely on Google to find the answers or at least the websites that had the answers that I was looking for. I know that, as a new user to Linux, I need to slow down, read the error message and then THINK about it and then go looking for the correct file(s) to modify, after research. Damn, that thinking part is what hurts:) I have been using Ubuntu for about a week and a half so I feel pretty good that I managed to get this far without causing a major meltdown of both myself and the computer. I have resisted the urge to pitch the thing out the window. I will keep plugging away at it and will report any progress or lack thereof. BTW....Herschel...thanks for the reply to the post I made last week. As you can see, I am back and posting again, this time with a success story.
number6x

Apr 03, 2006
1:27 PM EDT
l_n_d,

The ubuntu forums are pretty helpfull. From the post title, I guess that's what you are using.

Since your machine is pretty low powered, I would suggest using a light weight window manager instead of the default gnome for ubuntu.

If you are a windows person, IceWM would feel comfortable. If you are a Unix person, WindoMaker, NextStep or GnuStep, fluxbox, or xfce are nice.

These tend to have fewer bells and whistles but are much faster and responsive on older hardware.

google is, once again, your friend. http://linus.yhspatriot.net/cs/docs/ubuntu_howto/UbuntuLite http://homes.esat.kuleuven.be/~decockd/wiki/bin/view.cgi/Mai... http://www.binonabiso.com/en/Ubuntu-miniRAM-HOWTO.html
unixdumdum

Jun 14, 2007
2:56 PM EDT
I'm having a problem getting puppy linux 2.16 to recognize my netgear wireless adapter on a usb port. Any suggestions?

You cannot post until you login.