Keyboard Layouts in IceWM

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
the_new_z

Apr 07, 2006
2:53 AM EDT
Hello there guys,

I got lost in the past couple of weeks, experimenting with windows managers. Now, I have the most kickass IceWM ever...but I can't switch between keyboard layouts. In SaX I am able to choose alternative layouts, but I couldn't find a way to switch between them. One guy at LQ suggested that I use loadkeys, but with it I only get:

Loading /usr/share/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/ru1.map.gz Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console.

Any suggestions?
jimf

Apr 07, 2006
3:23 AM EDT
Try kkbswitch. It's suposed to work with iceWM.
the_new_z

Apr 07, 2006
4:37 PM EDT
Nope...are you sure about the command?
jimf

Apr 07, 2006
6:43 PM EDT
Ahh... it's an app :)

Try looking here: http://kkbswitch.sourceforge.net/

You don't say what Distro you are running. If Debian, it's in the repos.

Looks like you'll also have to edit your xorg.conf file Section "InputDevice" and add whatever you need for the alternate.

Take a look at the following.

http://lug.mtu.edu/lists/lug-l-0503/msg00009.html http://xorg-annarchy.freedesktop.org/releases/X11R6.8.0/doc/...

I used to run iceWM, very nice, but KDE is just as fast on my hardware, and, I didn't have the time to play with both.
the_new_z

Apr 08, 2006
10:51 AM EDT
OK, problem solved. After your advice and some reading.

I used KDE's xkb app to get the necessary layouts and created a new entry in IceWM's keys file looking like this:

key "Ctrl+Alt+1" -setxkbmap -model toshiba_s3000 -layout us -variant basic key "Ctrl+Alt+2" -setxkbmap -model toshiba_s3000 -layout bg -variant phonetic

So now I can switch at will. The difficult part was to figure out that once switched to the bg layout it does not recognize the characters so using the numbers was a solution. By the way, I use openSUSE 10.0
jimf

Apr 08, 2006
11:52 AM EDT
Glad you got it working.

You should try Debian though. Linux is pretty much Linux, except for the packaging. Debian has no equal in that :) .
the_new_z

Apr 09, 2006
3:31 PM EDT
In fact, I want to try them all - at least the major ones - but I have only one PC, which I have to keep up and running at all times. Maybe I can try to cut a partition for experimenting with different distros, but I don't have much space either - 30GB.
jimf

Apr 09, 2006
8:32 PM EDT
probably enough for 2, but tight... Well, HDs are pretty cheap :)
grouch

Apr 10, 2006
3:27 PM EDT
jimf: 30 GB is enough for 6! It's just not enough for piles of photos, music and movies. :)
the_new_z

Apr 10, 2006
4:41 PM EDT
grouch, true :o)

btw, can I install and run Linux from an external hdd?
jimf

Apr 10, 2006
5:02 PM EDT
Heck grouch, I'm not that disiplined, nor do I have the desire to run 6 different Distros. Two is usually pleanty :).. I do a lot of graphic design though, so of course, I tend to leave a little more space. I also have 140gb to roam...
jdixon

Apr 10, 2006
5:21 PM EDT
> btw, can I install and run Linux from an external hdd?

In general, if your hardware can boot from the device you can install and run Linux from the device. If your hardware will not boot from the device, you can still install Linux on the device, but you will have to put the boot loader and possibly the kernel on another device which is bootable.
grouch

Apr 10, 2006
10:39 PM EDT
Very recently, I had to deal with a damaged hard drive at a little business. Apparently lightning had reached beyond the battery backup/surge protector. It was a 10G drive with two copies of the system on it. The swap partition was undamaged. Only the partition that was in use during the storm was hurt. I just booted the other one. It will do for now. (It's mirrored daily on another computer).

It has 963 packages installed, including Apache, Bastille, Cups, Dosemu, Emacs, Gcc-3.3, Gimp, ImageMagick, KDE games, Koffice, Koules, Kword, Mozilla (plus mail and news), Perl, PHP4, PostgreSQL, Pysol, Python2.3, Tcl 8.4, Texinfo, Vorbis and X. It also has OpenOffice.org. That still leaves room for a database of over 2000 customers and their monthly activity since 1998 with a little custom PHP 'app' to view that data in various ways.

You can do a lot with relatively little space. :)

You cannot post until you login.