I had to stop testing it

Story: Survey of IE7 Beta 2 Reviews: Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!Total Replies: 1
Author Content
dtfinch

Apr 11, 2006
8:30 PM EDT
Upgrading from the first beta 2 preview to the march 20th rerelease of it screwed up a lot of things. It's so different that they should really have renamed it to beta 3, or beta 1.5 on account of the increased problems.

Installation took a while. Rather than fixing the infamous msfeeds.dll problem, they increased the number of ways that it can be triggered.

After it was installed, Windows Explorer became a little bit unstable. I didn't expect IE7 to mess with it so much. The previous release with the same name didn't. Right clicking a folder in my start menu to open it would cause explorer.exe to crash. But that's not the worst of it. Double clicking just about any file on a network drive, even .txt files, would generate a security warning popup dialog that could not be disabled. I had to uninstall it at this point, to get on with my work.

The uninstallation went pretty smoothly. It left some shell extension dirt in the registry referencing nonexistant .dlls, but it went unnoticed until the next time I ran shexview.

Apart from the new ugly, inflexible theme and all the bugs/problems, the rest of it feels comparable to IE6. We won't see any benefits to it until it's become popular enough to take advantage of its new standards support, which I haven't had a chance to review yet because it left me no choice but to uninstall it. I might give it another look when it supports SVG and canvas, for testing purposes.
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 11, 2006
9:20 PM EDT
I can't believe what you just described, I must be getting spoiled. Every single one of the things you had to put up with is unacceptable to me.

Please tell me your doing it for some professional reason, please!

I do not use IE for anything except filling out my call reports for my Vendor Rep job, and that sucks bad enough as it is. But willingly testing out the "New" IE is quite beyond my capacity.

;-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!