From an American citizen

Story: Microsoft Is Playing A Dangerous Game... One Which the United States Could LoseTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
Penguin_Pete

Apr 25, 2006
7:03 AM EDT
Let me be the first to say "right on!". You have a lot of insight, and ignore the inevitable flames from other Americans you'll be getting, as many of us are not even allowed to express concern for our *own* well-being without being screamed down by a rabid mob; I submit the high-temperature flames to follow as exhibit A.
micder

Apr 25, 2006
8:10 AM EDT
Indeed right on! And let's hope that the judges in Brussels and Neelie Kroes have more backbone than the EU-secretaries for Foreign Affairs, who were so "convinced" after Condoleeza Rice's statement that the US do not torture.
GnuGuy

Apr 25, 2006
8:36 AM EDT
Well said, hkwint. You have an excellent grasp of our "government." You must have had either econ or poli-sci as a minor. I also agree re the US, big business, etc. Greed has destroyed what was a democracy. I believe the time for anarchy is approaching. There is NO way that one can justify why executives should get the OBSCENELY huge salaries and bonuses they do. And I won't even begin to rant about what our representatives (that's said tongue-in-cheek) in Washington get from all the lobbyists. Some cracker called Trent Lott insists that there is absolutely no problem with lobbying influences in Washington. What a jerk!!! He's probably on m$'s payroll, too.

We desperately need a third party. But the powers that be (aka, group X, the Republicrats, the New World Order, Illuminati, etc) have made certain that it can't happen.
jimf

Apr 25, 2006
9:38 AM EDT
Look at any poll to realize there is a 'huge' difference between what the American government does and what the US citizens 'want' it to do.
tymiles

Apr 25, 2006
11:12 AM EDT
Right on! I see this every day and it flies over the heads of most people!

Keep up the good work!

Thank you for bringing out the truth!
Bob_Robertson

Apr 25, 2006
11:44 AM EDT
Most "libertarians" will gladly tell you how un-beneficial a third-party is.

What we need, desperately, is what started this country in the first place: a good dose of anarchy! No, not "chaos". An-archy, "rule" without "rulers". What the author of "V for Vendetta" was trying to communicate, and why he took his name off the movie because the W'bros removed an-archy from the movie entirely.

http://www.mises.org/story/1855

Specifically, a retraction of the "consent of the governed" for the vast parasitic industry that government has become, before it kills it's host.

Back when I still bothered to read things like newspapers, a politician made the statement that "the industry is unregulated", describing someone trying to make a living running a business. Such a politician believes that there must be laws governing every action that a person can take. "What is not forbidden is compulsory."

Unfortunately, since governments seeded to themselves the monopoly on money, the US in 1912 with the establishment of the Federal Reserve, the result has been economic meltdowns like Argentina and Germany, great inflations, that usually finally shake the "governed" out of their complacency. A Great Inflation of the US dollar would be a really awful thing to try to live through, and the policies of the present Federal Reserve chairman make it all the more likely.

The fall of the Berlin Wall and the Soviet Union were exceptions, ones which hopefully point the way to doing the same with the American Empire without committing suicide in the process.
NoDough

Apr 25, 2006
6:53 PM EDT
I disagree. We don't need a third party. We need one party. That party would be the US citizenship.

Of course, people will always congregate with those that agree with them. Therefore, parties are inevitable. However, what is not inevitable that we as voters have allowed to happen is government recognition of parties. The houses of Congress have left wings and right wings. They have minority leaders and majority leaders with assigned powers. Our government funds preliminary elections that have nothing to do with electing a representative, but rather choosing the candidates for THE TWO parties. What business does the US government have recognizing and enabling these groups?

I've posted this before, but here is a snippet from President George Washington's farewell address http://www.ourdocuments.gov/doc.php?flash=old&doc=15&page=tr... which should give us a pretty good idea of what our founding fathers thought about the party system.

I have already intimated to you the danger of parties in the State, with particular reference to the founding of them on geographical discriminations. Let me now take a more comprehensive view, and warn you in the most solemn manner against the baneful effects of the spirit of party generally.

This spirit, unfortunately, is inseparable from our nature, having its root in the strongest passions of the human mind. It exists under different shapes in all governments, more or less stifled, controlled, or repressed; but, in those of the popular form, it is seen in its greatest rankness, and is truly their worst enemy.

The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. But this leads at length to a more formal and permanent despotism. The disorders and miseries which result gradually incline the minds of men to seek security and repose in the absolute power of an individual; and sooner or later the chief of some prevailing faction, more able or more fortunate than his competitors, turns this disposition to the purposes of his own elevation, on the ruins of public liberty.

Without looking forward to an extremity of this kind (which nevertheless ought not to be entirely out of sight), the common and continual mischiefs of the spirit of party are sufficient to make it the interest and duty of a wise people to discourage and restrain it.

It serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection. It opens the door to foreign influence and corruption, which finds a facilitated access to the government itself through the channels of party passions. Thus the policy and the will of one country are subjected to the policy and will of another.

Kind of prophetic, isn't it? The last paragraph could easily apply, not only to foreign countries, but to big business as well.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!