Is that link directly to the IE page?

Story: Internet Explorer Beta Unveils To Firefox’s FlameTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
DigitaLink

Apr 26, 2006
7:09 AM EDT
Because I got the you're using IE message ... and I'm using Flock - a fork of the Firefox code.

Hmmm ... on closer inspection, yes, that is a sample of the IE message. They should really note that in the story instead of making it sound like you'll only see the message if you're browsing with IE.

I have to agree with the article too - it's a dangerous idea they're playing with. Remember the lambasting Microsoft got for intentionally crippling it's sites if you were using anything other than IE? In my opinion this is no better. If everyone would just get their heads out of their collective butts and write to STANDARDS instead of to BROWSERS the web would be a much better place (for one) and the browser makers would have added incentive to get up to speed with the W3C standards (for two).

As long as coding is done browser-specific, nobody will win the war, and the surfers are the only ones that really, truly lose.
jdixon

Apr 26, 2006
7:54 AM EDT
> While there is no law that denies access to a site due to the use of a browser, it is a dangerous precedent.

Which was set long ago by IE only sites. Pot, meet kettle.

> but to use a method to block a user from information flies in the face of what Google and Firefox is about

Neither Google nor Firefox have anything to do with the site. It's a site by pro-Firefox, anti-IE users, advocating their position. You don't like it, don't go there.
henke54

Apr 26, 2006
8:28 AM EDT
http://www.killbillsbrowser.com/

;-P
DigitaLink

Apr 27, 2006
5:13 AM EDT
Then if Google has nothing to do with it, they should be on this site like white on rice for spreading lies about Google paying people to switch. If they ARE paying people to switch, it's still an ugly PR move on Google's part.
jdixon

Apr 27, 2006
6:17 AM EDT
> ...for spreading lies about Google paying people to switch.

They state:

"...Google is paying $1 for each new Firefox user you refer."

I have no idea if this is true or not, but they give more details farther down the page, indicating you have to have an AdSense account to receive the money. However, even if it's true, what's wrong with Google paying people to spread the word about Firefox?

> ...it's still an ugly PR move on Google's part.

If what the article says is true, Google is paying people to recommend Firefox to others. They have NOTHING to do with the Explorer Destroyer campaign. These people are completely independent of both Google and Firefox.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!